CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

929 fuel injection problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 929 fuel injection problem

I have an '01 929, street set-up, that I have done several track days with. Last fall while riding at high rpms and getting on the throttle the bike would shut down. The bike would start again with no more problems. Just recently it has been happening more frequently until a complete shut down at Carolina Motorsport Complex on the back straight at 120mph. Now the bike won't start at all. Before the complete shut down I tried having it dynoed, no problems showed up. Thought maybe bad gas, not the problem. Thought maybe an electical problem, all harnesses were connected, no bad fuses and even a fresh battery, not the problem. Air box is clean with a clean air filter, no clogged air flow. Fuel filter and fuel injectors, not the problem. No mods have been done. It is pretty much stock, except for a full Hindle exhaust and a powercommander. I even disconnected the pc. After checking all that I have mentioned it still kept shutting down with more and more frequency. One thing that I have noticed this last shut down that didn't happen before is when I try to start the bike the fuel injection primer does not come on. When starting the bike there is supposed to be a whinning noise which indicates the fuel injection is priming. This is why I think it is the Fuel Injection. Could the fuel injection burn out or go bad? Never heard of this happening on any vehicle, car or bike, this new. Any thoughts?

Old 04-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 929 fuel injection problem

Got the same bike. Neve heard of the FI going bad but i'm sure it can. Recently, after filling up at the gas station. My bike would not start. I had to push start it. I took it to my second job (Wal-Mart) to the automotive dept. and they found for some unknown reason that the grounding cable had come loose. My bike did the same (no noise of the FI) as yours did upon trying to start before hand. See if Honda can put it on their machine and see if it's the FI.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:34 PM

Hi 9two9 could it be the fuel pump?

Old 01-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

The fuel pump is what makes the noise when they key is turned on your bike, ifyou aren't hearing that, then it is most certainly a fuel pump.

The only thing that makes me second guess that is that it is very rare for a, "going-bad" fuel pump to give any idication that it is going bad. They simply prevent your car/bike from starting one day.

My best guess is that the underlying problem ran short the life of your fuel pump.

Show your testing shows that each of your injectors are spraying at the correctcalibration? Interesting. I wouldn't rule out electrical completely, but I think it's in the fuel lines. Check the fuel rails, vacuum hoses, o-rings - everything on the throttle body?

Old 01-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

WOW! Disregard... OFP

I'm trying to troublshoot my own issue and found this.