CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

929 engine noises - Concerned !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 929 engine noises - Concerned !!!

Just bought a mint 2000 929 with 2800 miles and I have a few questions about some engine noises I have . This is my first Honda , yamaha guy , I have searched a few forums for some answers but came up with ???? Anyway , I have put roughly 500 miles on this bike , currently 3300 miles and some change and there are some funny noises that I need to ask about . First , when accellerating through the gears I assume that I am hearing some cam chain noise that I have read about , its does it from about 3000 to 6000 under a lite load and disappers , very light but noticeable . No noise at startup at all and seems to be slightly better after warm up . Also sometimes I get a little chank when sitting warming up or after I restart after sitting a hour . Its random and sounds like in the trans area . Its not a clunk , but a slight chank . It only does it once usually . I also here it sometimes when riding in 2nd or third gear when I am off the gas coasting . It sounds like a tranny issue to me . The bike shifts fine , finds neutral easily and never makes any noises under power or slips out of gear . Its a random noise , not all the time , but still concerns me . It seems minor , but if I take it to honda , what would I expect to pay to have this sorted out . The bike is basically new still , never abused by the previous owner or me .
Other than that , the bike seems to be in order , no other issues . Oil is at the correct level ... I have ridin bikes all my life , but never really heard anything like this before , though I am new to the Honda cbrs . Any help would be appreciated . Thanks

Old 04-23-2009, 08:12 AM

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/296579.aspx probably more info on that board about the CCTL than you could want. if you want my opinion, just ignore it. It's not really worth all the hassle. just my $.02

the tranny noise could be something tho. in 2000 and early models of the '01 there was some issue with the clutch basket. I don't remember what or why, but there was a recall. check out the sticky's for the "recall" thread. and, as always, if you're really curious/concerned, just pull the clutch cover off. it's really easy and it'll make you feel better.

p.s. Hondas are noisy like this, but just about bullet-proof.

Last edited by packdog; 04-23-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:03 PM

Thanks packdog , I believe that this bike has had the recalls taken care of , it has the two punch marks in the frame at known location . I have read about all the noises that these bikes make , but it still sounds funny . To me , its sounds like a couple of the gears in there are nicking each other randomly . I guess I am worried about a wheel lock up in a fast corner or something catustrophic happening . I am not very knowlodgeable about transmissions on hondas , I suppose a trip to the dealer is in order , but I know the runnaround involved in that and with no warranty , I getting setup for a huge bill most likely . Do the cases have to be split on these bikes to examine the gears , shift forks , etc.. ???? I guess that would determine the cost of sorting this out . I love the bike and will continue riding , just want to be sure everything is okay . Thanks for the info , appreciate any help I can get at this point ..LOL

Last edited by BodineJCS; 04-23-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:30 AM

If you really scared take it to a "good" dealer. older yamahas were the same way but had nearly indestructable motors *fzr*

Old 04-24-2009, 11:04 AM

Hello Bodine....I have a 2000 929 and when I start it from cold it usually makes 2 loud metallic clanking sounds and the engine is definately on the noisy side compared to other bikes I have had in the past.....the clanking sounds like the big ends have gone in a 2 stroke but it only ever does this a couple of times when its stone cold. Where on the frame are the punch marks for the recalls? mine goes in the dealers on the 29th for new forks but honda UK said the clutch didnt come up on their database???? It sounds as if you are a similar character to me in that the noises create a paranoia (I HATE rattles) I think you would be spending money needlessly getting the engine checked when it is probably supposed to have a certain amount of clearance noise ( If you heard my bike it would probably put your mind at ease)

Old 04-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by davrosxuk
Hello Bodine....I have a 2000 929 and when I start it from cold it usually makes 2 loud metallic clanking sounds and the engine is definately on the noisy side compared to other bikes I have had in the past.....the clanking sounds like the big ends have gone in a 2 stroke but it only ever does this a couple of times when its stone cold. Where on the frame are the punch marks for the recalls? mine goes in the dealers on the 29th for new forks but honda UK said the clutch didnt come up on their database???? It sounds as if you are a similar character to me in that the noises create a paranoia (I HATE rattles) I think you would be spending money needlessly getting the engine checked when it is probably supposed to have a certain amount of clearance noise ( If you heard my bike it would probably put your mind at ease)
LOL , yeh freaks you out don't it .... Your email put me at ease though , so thanks for that . Compared to what I am used to , these bikes are noisy but I guess I am worried for nuthin . I ran it by my local Honda dealer (not a good one mind you) and the service guy thinks it is the starter clutch and not to worry about it . Of course it did'nt do it when I ran it for him ... Go Figure ... My does it cold and also when it sits for a half hour or longer but almost never on a hot restart . The punch marks are on the right side (sitting on the bike ) above the main swing arm pivot on another pivot about 4-6 inches above the main one . It has a pinch bolt so you can't miss it . I have two marks on mine , one for the clutch and one for the fuel line I assume , so I think I am good there . I really love this bike and everything else is good so I not gonna worry so much and ride it . The service manager
also said that the timing chain noise is normal on these bikes too , and to bring it in if it gets worse , so there you have it . I have a old school Yamaha fj1100 that doesn't make a sound except for some cold tappet noise until warm up and then silent after that , 25k on that one ... Thanks again for the reply ...

Old 04-24-2009, 04:33 PM

you're welcome