CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Tired exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:10 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Tired exhaust

My poor old stainless exhaust is past it's best. It's a 3 section type with headers/collector/silencer.
The headers are fine and I'd like to just do the collector and silencer.
Prices are all over the place and some of the complete systems look pants.
The bike has nice smokin joe paint job and I don't want to strap a huge torpedo to the thing.
Any suggestions please (wife won't let me buy another bike and I can't afford a divorce)

Old 08-28-2015, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pants, torpedo, I'm confused. Keep an eye on ebay and buy one in better shape than the one that you have now. Maybe a welder could patch the one you have then you could have it ceramic coated.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:52 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Why don't you repack the exhaust?

What's wrong with the mid section?

Old 08-30-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
Why don't you repack the exhaust?

What's wrong with the mid section?
I'll answer both replies. The mid section is my real issue. Where the headers meet the collector is rotten. The "v" 's at the joints have holed. A pea sized chemical metal putty is now on each of them. It smells like rotten fish when hot just to **** me off even more.
I'm having no luck sourcing this part at all and it really lets the bike down.
As for "pants".....it means ****! and torpedo means torpedo lol.
And to finally finish my head off I came home yesterday with front end judder on braking. The head bearings are good, the pads are good so I'm now looking for new discs as a poss' remedy.
Cheers for any help with the exhaust

Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in the USA, there is hot rod car parts place call Jeg's and Summit Racing, they have collectors for American V8's exhaust if someone wanted to build their own exhaust system. I would bet they have for different size for pipes coming in. Maybe you have something like that where your at. It would take some custom modifications but it might be cheaper than a new exhaust. It probably wouldnt be thin wall pipe like motorcycle exhaust but "what the hell".

Old 02-21-2016, 08:35 PM

Ok it's been a while since I visited here and ran my bike through till the end of our hopeless summer.
Finished with 3 day run from South Wales to north wales. The roads were dry,twisty, empty and scenic.
Shame it was a little spoilt by some **** poor riding by one of the guys. I didn't enjoy nearly running into the back of him as he decided to let go of his throttle and wring his hand just as we were exiting a nice flow of bends......totally unexpected but it became his trend in the end.
Anyways......back to my trusty steed.
She's exhaust less at the moment. I've taken it off and was surprised at the decay. It was a stainless system but even so it still rotted through at the mid section.
It's time to replace it but I don't want a long silencer section. The best price I can get so far is about £200 and then add the end can.
Is there anyone out there who has replaced theirs with something similar ?
She's in excellent condition for her year with a very well done dream machine paint job (40k miles cbr900rrs) and want her on the road for spring.
Any advice or help appreciated.......cheers Wes

Old 02-24-2016, 04:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wes 17
... Finished with 3 day run from South Wales to north wales. ...
Bleddy 'ell! 3 days? Were you pushing your bike ....??

Can't really comment on current systems but I have a Two Bros SS full system on my RRN. That's in 3 bits and hasn't holed or deteriorated in the 15+ years it's been on the bike.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:39 PM

Lol......we kind of zig zagged up there. Went north by west by east by north by west etc
The route covered was perfect for two wheels, it began with the Black Mountains, Brecon Beacons types of roads and didn't stop. Saw minimal traffic and the scenery even slowed us to a stop at times. Only saw about 10 miles of dual the whole trip. By the time we got home my tyres and brakes and me were finished, honest.....what a ride !
As for my exhaust, the Mrs is complaining about me wasting money (again) and the Two Bros will send her into melt down (again) so I think I'm going to end up with a Delkavic system. I would personally prefer a more stubby size silencer but we'll see how much I is left in the kitty.
Cheers Wes