CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

So Value wise...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Value wise...

A local kid here was selling his 98 900 rr. I got the bike bug and jumped on a good deal on a ducati but the bike seems to be very well priced and it looks nice too.

Anyway, he's asking $2900 for this bike and I believe it has around 15k miles. Should I jump on it for resell? Something tells me I should, though something tells me I'll want to keep it too.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...rent=900rr.jpg

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=900rr2.jpg

What do you think?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Default RE: So Value wise...

It's not the factory paint.......meaning it's likely been down and if it hasnt, it will lead a potential buyer to beleive it has been and drive the price down. Custom paint will bring the value down in my opinion because you just never know WHY it was repainted. Esp when it looks like that one does, it looks like a hack job of painting from the pics. It's not like it's chromed out and NICE!!
I'd say if you wanted a 900RR it's probably not too bad of a deal to keep the bike, but you wont make much if any money on it trying to resell it. If it was 100% factory color, etc..........then you stand to make some money on it, but if that was the case........he'd be asking for more.

I say it's about right for the price.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: gixxereater

It's not the factory paint.......meaning it's likely been down and if it hasnt, it will lead a potential buyer to beleive it has been and drive the price down. Custom paint will bring the value down in my opinion because you just never know WHY it was repainted. Esp when it looks like that one does, it looks like a hack job of painting from the pics. It's not like it's chromed out and NICE!!
I'd say if you wanted a 900RR it's probably not too bad of a deal to keep the bike, but you wont make much if any money on it trying to resell it. If it was 100% factory color, etc..........then you stand to make some money on it, but if that was the case........he'd be asking for more.

I say it's about right for the price.
Thanks sir, the only reason for purchasing it would be resell so I do appreciate the input. I personally liked the paint he did but I've not seen it in person. I agree stock paints do make a difference but I'm also the type of buyer that assumes that any bike has been layed down regardless how it looks. They do go down, more often than we'd like to admit. But your opinion counts, I'm gonna check it out anyway.

By the way, you said the bike doesn't look nice. Got a link of a nice one?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:05 AM

It depends on your definition of "Nice". What I meant was it wasn't repainted to be a custom show bike. Meaning it looks in the pics like a Maaco special. Nothing wrong with doing that...............but why? If it's not been wrecked and isnt custom painted to be a "bling" bike, then the only other logical reason is because it's either new plastic in primer or to cover up the origional paint fo some reason. IE, been wrecked. That's all.
I dont have a link for you because I dont know what you consider nice. I like the factory colors of most bikes so to me, that looks nice. Some are better than others.

It might be worth checking out.......but I doubt you'll make any money on it and depending on your area, you may end up sitting on it. If it's a local sale and people have seen it for sale for that price and magically because you now own it it's worth $500 more.......they SURE aren't going to buy it then.

Good luck though.........post up some better pics of it, maybe it doesnt look all that bad in person.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:20 AM

I haven't seen the bike in person yet. Don't even have a working digital camera at the moment but I've always kept immaculate care of any bike I've owned and if you're into show bikes.... Well... nothing wrong with that. I won't throw an accessory on they're a money sink and most the people looking at your bike won't be impressed by the extra gadget you tossed on there.

Now your point on stock paint is extremely valid. I may throw that at him if I make an offer but some people aren't rational to logic so in the end all it comes down to is how much $$ he's willing to take. In another forum someone suggested $2200 but it seems way low for this caliber of bike.

Btw I just asked for pics of nice bikes for reference, I like customs I'm just too cheap to pay for em.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:49 PM

i think my bike is alright. its bone stock and never been down and has about 13k on it

[IMG]local://upfiles/18535/F9FF16FFFFF14EF0975C52E9DB612C43.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-22-2007, 09:44 AM

Yep, that's a nice bike. Nothing wrong with stock. How many horses these things have?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:33 AM

in the 120's

Old 08-22-2007, 11:58 AM

The qulaity of the paint doesn't look too good. If it is though, buy it.