CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help-Opinions Please

A couple weeks ago I picked up a completely stock 1997 900rr with just under 11k on the clock. It had been sitting for about 4 1/2 -5 years so when I got it home I drained the old gas, changed the oil, replaced the battery and tried to fire it up. Obviously it didn't want to run right due to the gas having turned to sludge in the carbs so I took it to an independent shop and had them give the carbs a good cleaning, install new plugs and while they had the carbs apart a stage 1 jet kit.

It starts right up without any choke and runs nice however I have a couple concerns.

1. The mechanic discovered rust in the tank and could only recommend an acid cleaner. I've heard bad things about these and would like to avoid it if possible. I had him add an extra fuel filter in the interim.

2. I took it for a quick spin when I got home and could hear a slight ticking under acceleration and it is smoking somewhat while idling. I'm hoping it's just burning off the remnants of bad gas still stuck in the tank.

3. I checked the oil level in the window on the crankcase and didn't see anything. From what I've read it takes 3.8 quarts and I know I added 4 when I changed the oil before I had it serviced.

Any ideas?

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Opinions Please-img00019-20100629-1809.jpg   Opinions Please-img00017-20100629-1451.jpg   Opinions Please-img00018-20100629-1808.jpg  

Last edited by Ch3ckUrS1x; 07-16-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Ch3ckUrS1x
A couple weeks ago I picked up a completely stock 1997 900rr with just under 11k on the clock. It had been sitting for about 4 1/2 -5 years so when I got it home I drained the old gas, changed the oil, replaced the battery and tried to fire it up. Obviously it didn't want to run right due to the gas having turned to sludge in the carbs so I took it to an independent shop and had them give the carbs a good cleaning, install new plugs and while they had the carbs apart a stage 1 jet kit.

It starts right up without any choke and runs nice however I have a couple concerns.

1. The mechanic discovered rust in the tank and could only recommend an acid cleaner. I've heard bad things about these and would like to avoid it if possible. I had him add an extra fuel filter in the interim.

2. I took it for a quick spin when I got home and could hear a slight ticking under acceleration and it is smoking somewhat while idling. I'm hoping it's just burning off the remnants of bad gas still stuck in the tank.

3. I checked the oil level in the window on the crankcase and didn't see anything. From what I've read it takes 3.8 quarts and I know I added 4 when I changed the oil before I had it serviced.

Any ideas?

Jeff
Opinions :

Jet kit was not a good idea. If it's a stock bike , it's not needed plus you don't want to make those kind of changes while your trying to bring back a motor. You only want to tune a well dailed in motor or you'll never know what you've done for better or worse. That fact that it starts fine with no choke implies that it's tuned too rich for starters.

Gas tank :

You want to use something like this - http://www.kreemproducts.net/c-3-fuel-tank-liner.aspx

Ticking :

Depends on where you hear it. Upper end , could be the valves (need adjustment , due at 15k anyway) could be timing chain (not usually a worry). Bottom end , well lets just hope not there.

Smoking at idle : Usually a sign of bad (hard) valve seals , typically will clear up when reved higher. Could be gas from too rich an idle mixture (see above post). If it's light blue colored smoke it's burning oil (valves or worse) . If it's black it's excess fuel.

Oil level :

Above posts may be the answer to that. If you put it in , it's going somewhere. If your losing alot and it's not leaking then your rings are either shot or MAYBE one or 2 of the oil rings are 'stuck'. It may clear up with time or it may not. You could try pulling the plugs and squirting something like Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders , let it sit over night and see what happens. Maybe get lucky and fix 'it'.

That's my quick jist.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 PM

You may be right about not needing the kit. It was a last minute decision. This bike is so clean I really didn't think I would have any issues other than the carbs needing cleaned.
The ticking seems to be coming from the top end, definitely not the bottom.

As far as the oil level goes I never saw it in the window even after I refilled it. I checked with the bike upright not on the stand. It wouldn't run long enough before the carb cleaning to burn any so did I add enough?

Am I correct in thinking the 919 block takes 3.8 quarts or did I read it wrong somewhere?

Old 07-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

I'd have to pull my book and check but that sounds about right but with a filter change it might take a tad more.

I know I've never put in more than 4q though because I usually buy the 4q bulk jug and that puts it in the upper part of the window when the bike is sitting dead level and upright. I just changed mine a month or so ago.

Unless theres sludge or something else going on , maybe upper in the head , that's keeping it trapped and unable to return to the sump.

Don't really have an answer or that.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:10 PM

Well when I went out to start pulling the tank off I noticed gas underneath the bike. I'm guess some of thre rust got through and has clogged a jet.

Damn.
I did check the oil level and it was normal. I could actually see it in the window whereas I couldn't yesterday. Weird.

There is a considerable amount of rust inside the tank. Looks to be surface.
I'm thinking I'm going to order a new tank. I realize they are pricey but I can't see paying for a used tank and then having it painted. Very well could run into the same problem and besides there are none to be found at the moment, even on fleabay.

And on top of that the battery was dead.

I just want to ride it.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Use the tank kreem. I've used it for years on rusty 'ol tanks with holes in them. The stuff works. You need to be sure where the leak is coming from tho. Could be from the carb bowls , the overflow lines , other gas lines etc. They had all that stuff off when they pulled the carbs. If the tank itself was rusted thru I would think the mechanic would have noticed while it was sitting off the bike. It could be , just seems like a long shot.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:52 PM

It's definitely not the tank. No holes anywhere, it's superclean on the outside. It's the inside that I'm not wanting to deal with.

Is the tank kreem acid based?

I'm probably going to order a new tank and pass this one on to someone who wants the challange as well as a good deal on a pristine tank.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

I don't know , been years since I've done a tank with it.

It's a 2 part deal. A rust 'eater' and etcher and then the sealer.

I think its kinda of an epoxy. It's pretty easy to use , pretty much pour it in the tank , swish it around and rinse a time or 2 till the rust is gone. Then the sealer , basically same deal. Pour it in and swirl it around the inside till it's all coated.

Cool stuff.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:13 PM

Thanks for all the good advice so far.

I did in fact replace the tank. I gave considerable thought to using the kreem but just KNEW I would somehow screw up the paint. So I chickened out and went the much safer albeit much more expensive route. I now have an extra tank that I haven't decided what to do with.

My issue now is the ticking under semi hard acceleration and the smoking that I posted about previously.

Any thoughts?