CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Engine sound perceived louder and different after full exhaust replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 12:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I can try but the problem is :
1/ the sound is normal at idle and under'3000-4000 rpm when i ride in 1st and 2nd gear , it only becomes weird past those rpms and i hear it when i ride the bike , when i am on it , so i don't know how it will translate in static if i only turn the throttle while the bike is in neutral position not rolling !
2/ will my ipad be able to record that sound correctly ?

Old 12-05-2021, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 316 Likes on 260 Posts

It should Do you have a smartphone? That should be easier to handle than an iPad.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:58 AM

No i onlyhave an ipad unfortunately !

Old 12-06-2021, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 316 Likes on 260 Posts

I wouldn't say that is necessarily unfortunate. I can't count the times I've suppressed the urge to throw mine as far as I could.
If your bike as a center stand or if you have paddock stands then that might be a better option to try recording.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

How big is the iPad? Would it fit into your tank bag (presuming you have one)? If so, take it for a ride and configure it to record audio (might need an app for that). Recording from in the tank bag will hopefully keep the wind noise at bay.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
How big is the iPad? Would it fit into your tank bag (presuming you have one)? If so, take it for a ride and configure it to record audio (might need an app for that). Recording from in the tank bag will hopefully keep the wind noise at bay.
i should have been given a tank bag at the color of the Urban Tiger ( at least the thing that you put around the tank to protect it and attach a bag on it but the previous owner who sold me the bike the eyes of the head without being generous enough to even drain the oil and replace it and the filter knowing it had more than a year ( but not so much km ) didn't even replace the oil whereas he knew i had 400km to ride home ( nor to participate when i told him the left commodo was not working for the full beam and the switch was not possible to repair , so i had to buy a whole left commodo whereas everything was supposed to work perfectly ) but he did not keep his word about the tank protection to attach a bag , that he never sent me !
This guy was a true cheapskate ! Lol

Last edited by Highway to Hell; 12-07-2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:35 PM

Just to update the topic for if ever something like that ever happens to someone else and thae oerson searches for sole answer on the forum.
As i wrote in another topic about 92-97 exhaust compatibility , i had noticed one of the 2 silent blocks under the tank of my 94 CBR900 RR , had fallen but i did not know if it was before i had bought it or when it was serviced in my Kawasaki dealer's workshop , that it felt and they did not notice .
But as the engine sound had started to change and become muxh louder after i picked up my bike from their workshop , after they did all the maintenance and replaced the full exhaust system that was on the bike when i bought it , by the Akrapovic one i had bought for my CBR 900 RR , i started to wonder what they could have done or what could have happened while they serviced the bike , for the engine sound changed so much , although indid not know if it was because of the exhaust replacement or because of something else .

i had briefly thought about the missing silent block as a possible reason for that engine sound changes , creating some vibrations that could affect something in the bike, changing the engine sound and amplifying the whole thing .
But i was not really sure a simple small silent block missing under the tank , could really be the main reason of the problem , so inwent to a Hinda dealer to buy some new silent block and wait until i had the time to bring them to my Kawasaki workshop, for they can install it , thinking about every possibility among the work they had done on the bike , as a possible source for that problem , getting more and more frustrated to have spent all that money on an Akrapovic full exhaust system for that bike and get that ****ty engine sound whixh was so loud that it was covering the sound of the exhaust that i could not even hear !

And finaly last week , i had the time o bring them my CBR 900 to my Kawasaki workshop , let them install the 2 silent blocks, replacing the missing one and the 27 years old one that was still attached under the tank, as well as a big rubber pad / silent block that is at the extremity of the tank , where a big screw attach it to the bike's frame , just under the rider's seat .

Then after speaking a moment with the mechanics ( the chief of the workshop , with who i like to speak with , was not there as he had left earlier that day , knowing his best friend got killed in a car accident a few days earlier ) as there are some that are nice , especially one black guy with long braids with who i like to speak with .

So as the workshop was closing , i took my bike and started to ride back home, listening carefully to the sound of the engine , to hear if it had changed and came back to " normal " ; or at least to what it was before the bike was serviced .

And what was my surprise , when i noticed that weird abd loud engine sound was not there anymore and i could finaly hear again what sounded like a normal acceleration sound and also , i could hear the muffler exhaust / without having a loud and weird engine sound covering it !
So i rode all the way back home , shouting and singing , so happy to finaly have resolved that fu.... problem !

The following users liked this post:
Doc Samson (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 12:27 AM

Just before i left the Kawasaki Workshop, the mechanic i was speaking with was telling me that maybe the fact i did not hear the Akrapovic muffler, was due to the fact it is quite long , going to the end of the fairing , near the license plate , at lleast 10 to 15cm longer than the Akrapovic one for my GSX-R 750 K8 , which has exactly the same look but shorter than the one for the CBR.
Anyway , that was not explaining the engine ' sound changes nor the fact the engine seemed louder than before.

One thing i notice with those Hexagonal Akrapovic mufflers , on the bikes i heard it on , is that the sound is alright but not really to die for ; i mean, at least, not the best i heard .
I know it also depends on the bike it is installed on but the best Akrapovic muffler sound i heard was an early 2000 round Akrapovic bolt on muffler installed on a stock 2005 ZRX1200R like one of mine, with the original header/ collector / tail pipe ( it is made of one part from the header to the tail pipe , where you can bolt on a muffler ), still on the bike .
And i think that for the moment, the best exhaust sound i have on my bikes, might be the round Older 2000 -2010's Devil muffler and full exhaust racing system .
Maybe i should try the Akrapovic muffler made for my GSX-R , on' the CBR900RR, to hear what a shorter Akrapovic hexagonal muffler would sound like on this bike ( the mechanic told me i could have the one of the CBR900 shortened professionaly but before i would like to hear what it could sound like with the GSX-R's shorter one.

Also,i had bought an Akrapovic full exhaust system with hexagonal muffler as well, for my ZRX1200R with Dynojet stage 3 kit and K&N individual filters , as my Kawasaki chief of workshop had told me he had installed a Dynojet stage 3 kit on a ZRX1200R with that Akrapovic full exhaust racing system and that it was working perfectly ( they didn't need to install the idle jets in 40 instead of the stock ones in 35 , whereas on mine , it did not work correctly under 5000 rpm without these idle jets in 40 !) .
I'd be curious to hear how the ZRX1200R would sound with that Akrapovic full exhaust. system but if it sounds really better than the others, it would mean it is because it is installed on that bike , which might interact a certain way with that exhaust,, what makes it sound great (and alzo,,being what it is , a 1200