CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

dumb question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumb question?

i have what must be the dumbest question. here goes, i'm trying to get my project 900rr running i checked the motor and it is not seized, i can turn w/a ratchet fairly easy. when i try to start it the starter just fires and i get nothing from the motor at all no gluggs or chuggs. my retarded question is can i start the bike without the starter or running w/the bke and trie to put it in gear. is there a way that i can use an impact wrench to start it? i would just like to see if it's the starter and if the bike will run before i venture any further.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Default RE: dumb question?

befor you do all that try changing the spark plugs. the plugs may look good but they are probly bad. my bike dose it to me every year. ive owned my 900rr for 5 years and every year ive put plugs in it

Old 04-11-2008, 07:35 PM

plugs are brand new w/wires. i did a complete tune-up, just in case thats all it was. but no luck!

Old 04-12-2008, 04:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you try push starting? and did you check the carb?

Old 04-12-2008, 07:48 AM

i can't push start right now because the fork seals are way gone and the front dives too much.
i did check the carbs they seemed to be working properly. if it makes a difference this bike
was running from the law across 3 counties and the previous owner ended up slamming into
the back side of a semi. there was a lot of damage to the bike most of the fairing was either gone
scratched or cracked, the oil pan was cracked all oilleaked out, radiator was totaled, front tire was destroyed,
bar end was bent, both foot peg brackets were bent, leaving a small hole in the side of the swingarm hardly noticable,
gas tank was all dented, the frontbraks didn't work, the front frnder gone, the headlight was missingand a small dimple in the frame.
there was more but you catch my drift. is ther anything that may have jolted loose that could have caused my problem?

Old 04-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that all sounds pretty bad but the only thing i would say is check your cracked parts. make sure no leaks. did you start the bike freq.? you can't leave carb bikes sitting around long with out starting them opens up a whole new round of problems. i suggest getting the carb redone or atleast searching carb related probs.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:29 PM

Sounds a little scary trying to start it with an impact wrench...the variable speed of the wrench and what not. Definitely consult one of those 'ask a mechanic' places, at least I would.

At this point I would suspect and inspect the kill switch and the sidestand switch--both have the power to prevent fire. Obviously you need the tranny in neutral if the stand is down to start--but most likely you knew that already. I would also check the fuses, the ignition has its own, as well as the main fuse down by the starter relay on the right side of the engine. My book says check the starter relay for correct voltage, too.

Barring electrical gremlins, I would then suspect fuel delivery. 93-95 came with fuel pumps, as opposed to gravity fed vacuums on the later models. Your pump could be toast, the rubber holder things don't last very long with age--mine's only held on by one side, so yours may have died in the accident. You should be able to hear it when the starter spins, and it does have an electrical connection, so it may be fine, just not getting any power to pump with. The petcock is turned to ON or RES right?

Did you figure out the posting pictures thing yet? I could help with how I do it, at least.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Ya make sure your starter relay fuse isn't blown and also double check that you have the plug wires in order. Otherwise its a good possibility it is the kill switch.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: berm

yeah that all sounds pretty bad but the only thing i would say is check your cracked parts. make sure no leaks. did you start the bike freq.? you can't leave carb bikes sitting around long with out starting them opens up a whole new round of problems. i suggest getting the carb redone or atleast searching carb related probs.

i have no idea how long the bike sat for all i know is that the gas left in the tank stunk to high hell...
the whole inside of the tank was all rusted, yea it was pretty bad. i have changed all filters, fixed
all broken or cracked items it is nowfilled w/ synthetic oil so no leaks except the front forks.
i tend to lean more towards the starter than the carbs because when i try to start it i get no noise from the motor
only the starter fireing. i'm sure that the carbs need to be overhauled also. when i did have every thing apart
the inside of the motor looked amazingly clean.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:34 PM

ORIGINAL: slimmyslim1420

Ya make sure your starter relay fuse isn't blown and also double check that you have the plug wires in order. Otherwise its a good possibility it is the kill switch.

i have gone through all fuses and they are all good. i will double check the wires, but it should still fire if it is the wires
it would just run real rough. i haven't checked the kill switch, i just have to figure out how to do that.

Quick Reply: dumb question?