CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

CBR900 just died one me :( need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CBR900 just died one me :( need help!!

So I was riding to the gas station and suddenly it started feeling like it was running out of fuel then became sputtery and died.

Since then I have taken the tank off and checked the fuel pump and filter for plugged areas and it seems to be getting fuel. I also removed spark plugs 2 & 3 and they both spark excellently so I know both coils are still good.

If I pour gas down the carbs I can rarely get the bike to fire for a second but it sounds weird and will occasionally back fire really loud. So I'm guessing something went funky with my timing. This happened in the middle of a ride though I distinctly remember looking at the RPM gauge and reading around 4000 then suddenly it sputtered out and died.

Could the ignition control computer module have gone south on me??

Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 PM

Is the battery charged?

Does the starter work, no problem?

Could it be a charging issue?

Old 08-27-2010, 12:50 AM

Cylinders 2 and 3 use same coil. If you want to check both, pull either 1 or 4. Did you pour gas into all 4 carbs? How much? These bikes are notorious for fouling plugs and it doesn't take much extra gas to foul them. As for your original problem (bike dying)...Loosen drain screws on bottom of the bowls to clarify all carbs are getting fuel. If they are, I'd pull all 4 plugs and clean the heck out of them and try it again.
The ignition timing isn't adjustable on these and if you meant cam timing, it'd take alot to get that out just by cruising along. Try the drain screws and if it fuel comes out of all 4 bowls, try cleaning the plugs really good.

Last edited by cbr900racer77; 08-27-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:28 AM

The battery is charged and turning the motor over nicely.

As for the plugs they're brand new but ill go ahead and check them all. It just seems strange to me that it would cut like that while it's under a load. I know the timing isnt adjustable, it just seems like it's out of time. For a second I considered the cam chain jumping a tooth on the cams but it has a brand new manual cam chain tensioner that I put a lot of time into tuning so it shouldn't have been able to do that.

I didnt pour much down at all but yes, all 4 carbs. The only reason I didnt think the carbs would have plugged up like that, this new gas is a pretty nasty cleaner and I have run a decent amount of techron carb cleaner but ill take your advice and give it a look.

Last edited by OneNice900; 08-27-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:47 PM

That is wierd that it just studdered to a stop while riding. And internet troubleshooting is anything BUT dependable LOL. Hell, I'd like to think that I know a lil bout em considering how long I been wrenching on them and looked like a fool by someone on here that neglected to tell us his positive battery cable was just barely connected LOL We're just hitting on some of the things that go wrong with the 900RR from time to time.
MT Wallet made good point with the charging system. Check the R/R connector and make sure it hasn't fried. You've checked fire from 2,3 coil already. Check it from 1,4 coil and if plugs look pretty clean, if it's getting fuel to the bowl the darn thing should start.

Just for the heck of it....Did you check your positive battery cable?? LOL

Old 08-27-2010, 09:19 PM

Good idea on the battery cable.

I'm no mechanic, far from it....but I think the rule may be to check the simple stuff first and work your way up.

Make sure all battery cables are secured to the battery, check all wires and connectors.

Do a voltmeter check on your charging system to rule out a charging/battery/wiring harness problem.

Then move up from there.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:43 AM

I agree, that is the way to do it. Unfortunately with internet troubleshooting, you don't always get the "complete" picture when people describe a problem so you have to stab at it sometimes.
"Help, I put bike in gear and it won't move...clutch maybe??"

3 days later...."Oh yeah, forgot to mention, my chain broke right before problem started"...Clutch problem?? LOL

Old 08-29-2010, 10:01 PM

I checked pulse generator, primary and secondary coils, I have spark and new plugs, it didn't drop the cam chain, i don't have and sticky valves, and the carbs are cleaned and have no plugs, it also has compression.

So my last idea is the spark control unit is fried? Shop Manuel has no test procedure for it though. Ideas????

The charging system doesn't affect whether or not the bike will start.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:00 PM

Dang that's a tough one. Without bike sitting in front of me, I'm at a loss. I've never heard of ecu going bad regarding spark timing, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. A really nagging feeling keeps telling me this is going to turn out to be something simple. If it were mine and I had checked everything else (fuel, fire, air, compression) I would pull valvecover and check to make sure each coil was firing right plugs on compression and exhaust stroke. When 2,3 coil fires, one of those cyclinders should be on compression stroke and other cylinder should be starting exhaust stroke.