CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

97 CBR900, bike starts, then stops running

Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 CBR900, bike starts, then stops running

Hi again.. this time with a new issue..

Bike starts up pretty decently when you pull the choke. After you push the choke in, it idles decent for about 1 minute, then starts to putter almost, then stalls itself out.. After this you usually cant get it started again for at least 10 mins or more..

Ive just had my carbs cleaned, so not that.. Battery is brand new, so not that..

im leaning towards electrical, but cant find the issue..

any help/ideas would be great!

Old 05-13-2013, 04:32 AM
April 2013 ROTM

So it starts and runs fine for about a minute then starts to sputter and quits. Does the rpm drop and then get so low that it shuts off? if it does, sounds like its running out of fuel. Have you checked the fuel filter?

This is a fuel pump test from the 93-95 shop manual you can try. Turn the ignition switch off. Remove the fuel tank. disconnect the fuel tube from the fuel tee on the carbs. Disconnect the fuel cut-off relay. Jump the black to the black with brown wire in the fuel cut-off relay harness. Install the tank Run the hose into a measuring container. Turn the key on for 5 seconds then turn it off. Measure the contents of the container and multiply it by 12 to determine fuel pump flow capacity per minute. The fuel pump should pump 900cc per minute. That's about 30 oz. per minute.

This test flows fuel through the filter. if the filter is plugged up your flow test will show less fuel.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Doug_; 05-13-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Doug_
So it starts and runs fine for about a minute then starts to sputter and quits. Does the rpm drop and then get so low that it shuts off? if it does, sounds like its running out of fuel. Have you checked the fuel filter?

This is a fuel pump test from the 93-95 shop manual you can try. Turn the ignition switch off. Remove the fuel tank. disconnect the fuel tube from the fuel tee on the carbs. Disconnect the fuel cut-off relay. Jump the black to the black with brown wire in the fuel cut-off relay harness. Install the tank Run the hose into a measuring container. Turn the key on for 5 seconds then turn it off. Measure the contents of the container and multiply it by 12 to determine fuel pump flow capacity per minute. The fuel pump should pump 900cc per minute. That's about 30 oz. per minute.

This test flows fuel through the filter. if the filter is plugged up your flow test will show less fuel.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I actually have the bike completely apart, meaning no tank etc or even a fuel pump.. Im pretty sure the reason is the carbs are not clean.. I got them back from the shop, put them on, started the bike, started reving it up a bit, and noticed no gas coming out of the last 2 carbs.. took the carbs back to the shop and hopefully will have them back today properly cleaned..

Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by mosherj7
I got them back from the shop,and noticed no gas coming out of the last 2 carbs.. took the carbs back to the shop and hopefully will have them back today properly cleaned..
Do you mean fuel doesn't come out of the drain screws?

does the shop you took it to also include float height setting as part of this service?

what about the idle control screw on the carbs? have you tried that? it sounds obvious, but I know I have to reset mine every few months or so.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zachy72
Do you mean fuel doesn't come out of the drain screws?

does the shop you took it to also include float height setting as part of this service?

what about the idle control screw on the carbs? have you tried that? it sounds obvious, but I know I have to reset mine every few months or so.
Hey sorry didnt update this.. Got the Carbs back the 2nd time all nice n clean, put them on the bike and bam runs great!

Fuel was coming out of the drain screws, and i doubt they include the float height setting. And yeah i was messing with that idle control screw to try and keep it running at one point.

All is good now! Simple as dirty carbs