CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

900RR power in a newer roomier bike???

Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 900RR power in a newer roomier bike???

Hey there, well I think I may have screwed up. I sold my 98 900RR a coupld of weeks ago to buy an FZ1. While I loved the engine and looks of the CBR, I wanted more room for some sport touring and a more comfortable ride.

I am 6'3" and 270 in full gear and have a bad back and a old hip injury that made the CBR really painful to ride for more than 20 min. So I was looking at the FZ1. R1 motor for the street, roomier position, more uprite riding position and good looks sounded great. Well I bought an 03 a couple of days ago. Has quite a few good mods to it. AllI wanted except..... I miss that lovely 5000rpm HIT that the RR had. The FZ1 is strong and powerfulfrom about 7k upbut the delivery is so seamless that it feels bland.

Anyone ever had a 900RR that has made this kind of move and found an engine that made them happy?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Default RE: 900RR power in a newer roomier bike???

Hey Ratman

Sorry to hear about your injuries that forced you to sell your bike. I was also contemplating selling my CBR900 for a while now to get a tourer type as well. I also have a little bit of a tender back but the CBR900 doesnt tend to hurt it though. I just think I need to strenthen my back a bit at the gym and then I'll be ok. Im 6'4" at 209 pounds. The CBR900 fits me like a glove except just a little tiredness of my grip after long rides.

Yeah I would definately miss that 5000rpm thump, especially for overtaking idiot car drivers. The only tourer that catches my eye now is the Honda Varadero 800cc. A dude that works with me has that bike and cannot be happier with that bike. It was specifically made for low down torque, and accellerates like a beauty. I have ridden with him a few times and I have to say it goes really well and that sound of the V-Twin engine through his two scorch pipes are awesome. Its not made for top end speed but city or long road riding is a breeze with the Varadero, and its more suited for tall riders.

Maybe your local dealer might be able to give you a test drive on one.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 AM

Good looking bike but not available here in the US. Thanks for the suggestion though Duke.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 PM

Dammit!! Sorry to hear that Ratman.

The other bikes that come to mind for awesome power yet roomy enough for a tall person would be a Suzuki GSX1400R or the Yamaha XJR1200/1300, or even the Suzuki 1200 Bandit. I would prefer the Suzuki GSX1400R as it has a truck load of followers and its parts are more readily availible in South Africa. With that mother you would be able to keep up with Hayabusas, but lose out on top end speed due to aerodynamics. Plus I have seen that bike disappear in the blink of an eye. Be warned, they are monsters!!

Yet again those bikes are not designed for that. Good fuel economy, well at least for a 1400, thunderous torque, yet rock solid and reliable, with a comfortable upright seating position

I know they might be a little older than your FZ1, but here i am riding a 15 year old bike that still feels like I just drove her from the dealer. If a bike is good then it is good!!

Hope this helps

Old 03-29-2008, 08:36 PM

hey, youguys must be my age with the hip thing and the back thing. i too have a mint 93 900rr w/18k i have been waiting for since they were new, i just got it last aug. and i have to say i will be put in a home before i sell it. but back to the crusers the honda vtx "screws" lots of power to pass and is a cruiser. my cousin had one and loved the power and how it road but now he's a harley dude, but still talkes about it all the time. i don't know that this helps but i'm just putting my 2 cents. good luck
ron

Old 03-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RatMan

Hey there, well I think I may have screwed up. I sold my 98 900RR a coupld of weeks ago to buy an FZ1. While I loved the engine and looks of the CBR, I wanted more room for some sport touring and a more comfortable ride.

I am 6'3" and 270 in full gear and have a bad back and a old hip injury that made the CBR really painful to ride for more than 20 min. So I was looking at the FZ1. R1 motor for the street, roomier position, more uprite riding position and good looks sounded great. Well I bought an 03 a couple of days ago. Has quite a few good mods to it. AllI wanted except..... I miss that lovely 5000rpm HIT that the RR had. The FZ1 is strong and powerfulfrom about 7k upbut the delivery is so seamless that it feels bland.

Anyone ever had a 900RR that has made this kind of move and found an engine that made them happy?
first off i dont want to say ya screwd up but... you did jump ship and buy a yami...
j/k, my dad got a 2nd generation fz1. gotta drop a tooth on the front sprocket. that wakes it up pretty good. it will power the front up now. jsut gotta ride it like a 2 stroke. no power down low.
i rode it home one day and i beat my buddies 900 (the one i got now) every time. it will defintatly hang w/ my 929. just have to wind out the revs.

i feel for ya w/ the back problems. i put over 5000 miles on my classic f100 last year b/c my back killed me to ride the 929. now i got wiser and built my buds 900 into a streetfighter.