What should I expect??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I expect??

Firstly, hello and thanks for reading this! I am new to the forum and have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of intelligent and useful info here. I am afraid I have some typical noob questions however. First, my current bike is a '93 F2 that I've ridden for 8 years. I still love it but it is on its last legs and it is time for a new bike. I've decided to pick up a new '05 600rr next week but I am wondering what changes I can expect (seeing as how I have been unable to test ride one) from my F2. I know its quite a bit quicker but I'm wondering about small, day-to-day things like gearing: Is it very buzzy on the highway (my hands go numb after 20 minutes on my F2)? Is it geared really short (I've heard that it could use a higher gearing)? If so, what sprocket /chain combo would you recommend to lower the revs at highway speeds? How's the fuel injection (is the throttle very abrupt)? I know that the '05 is brand new but, in general, how is the reliability of the 600rr? Lastly, what should I target as a price? I know MSRP is $8999 and the local dealer seems unwilling to negotiate at all. Can I expect this everywhere or are some dealers willing to negotiate? Whew, that's a bunch of questions! I even have more, but that will do for now! Anyway, thanks for reading and I'm sorry if some of this has been covered before.

Old 05-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Default RE: What should I expect??

Well for starters I love my 600 RR. Its a perfect all around bike. Quick when it needs to be. Takes corners like its on rails. And the look of the bike draws alot of attention.

As for the price.... Well you know the weather is getting better and gas prices are rising so I think alot of dealerships know they can charge a little more.

Buy the bike you wont be sorry....

Just my 2 cents though...

Old 05-15-2005, 06:22 PM

Welcome. 1st the 600RR is like night and day from your F2. There have been so many changes I am not even sure you could compare them. The FI is smooth unless you let off all the way then can get choppy just keep a little throttle on and it will roll out of a turn very smooth. Gearing is fine IMO the bike red lines at 15000 RPM and at 65 MPH you’re running about 5500 RPM so not bad at all. There are a little bit of vibrations I get numb hands from time to time depends what gloves I am wearing and how much I remember to wiggle my fingers. Get some gloves with good padding in the palm and you will be ok. Right now is about the worst possible time to buy a motorcycle or a boat. The dealers know everyone wants new bikes at the start of the season and will pay for it so they have the attitude that if you don’t buy it someone will walk in behind you and pay what they want and there right. I bought mine in Feb and got an ok deal. Hope this helps

Old 05-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you'll keep the slack out of the throttle cable the choppiness will go away like magic. The numbness in the hands is usually attributed to bad posture. Instead of using your back, abs and legs to keep you upright all your weight is placed on your hands. If at any time your hands let go of the bars and you'd fall over then you're putting too much weight on your wrists. This WILL bite you in an emergency situation.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:12 PM

I had an F1 and had the same problem with my hands even when taking the weight off them. I've noticed the RR is unbelievably smooth at highway speeds, or any speed for that matter. As for gearing, there's no serious need for changing. Even at 165, redline is still a good 3-4k away. This does allow you to lower it some though while still getting the top speed. And touchy gas? Oh yeah. Every time I let of the throttle it drops down REALLY fast. This is just how fuel injection is, all or nothing. We're used to carbs, and the only way to get some of that smoothness back is to go with a PC.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really don't put much weight on my hands. I believe the numbness in my hands is due to the vibration in the bars from the engine (F2's are nototious for this). I found a new '05 600rr in jacksonville, Fl advertised for $7499. This seems really low so they will probably try to stick me with a bunch of extra bs charges but it still should come out well under the $8999 the local dealer wants. I'm glad you guys don't seem to think the gearing is a problem. All in all I can't wait to get my hands on this bike. I've been fiending for as much info online as I could get in anticipation (I'm sure you all know the feeling). I'm sure the 600rr is so superior to my F2 that I won't believe it when I finally get to ride it! Please throw in any other info on the bike you feel pertinent as I am desperate for as much info as possible. Thanks guys and this is an awesome forum!

Old 05-16-2005, 12:17 AM

Look at this beauty

[IMG]local://upfiles/1134/AECC2AB6EF5344858883E96B8D2FB09E.jpg[/IMG]