WHAT KIND OF AIR FILTER DO YOU USE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WHAT KIND OF AIR FILTER DO YOU USE?

ORIGINAL: AlmosN8kd

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

What's better than what Honda engineers designed...stock is all you need.

I disagree with that statement. Not because I'm endorsing some other sort of air filter or because I want to see HP gains; I'm still running a stock filter but that is because I haven't had a need to replace it yet. However, the reason I disagree is because engineers design what they think is best but they are governed by corporate individuals who will look at bottom dollar only and will use cheaper materials to produce a better overall profit. Now, I'm not saying anything against the stock filter or stock setup but I don't necessarily think that what the engineers designed and what is actually on the bike are the same thing or the greatest thing. Now, in this particular instance, I would think that a company which designs nothing but air filters would actually produce a better filter than stock. Anyhow, that is just my thoughts on the subject.
i agree
engineers cant focus purely on performance. they also have to look at epa, emissions, noise restrictions, longetivity, production costs etc

Old 01-05-2008, 11:03 PM

I run a bmc street filter.

To add not all air filter companies make filters "fit perfect" for everything they make.See below example:

K&N -stock-BMC (600rr filters)..Based on what i see .Id pick the stock(more surface area)over the K&N anyday..

Name:  P1000942.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  150.1 KB

Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM

Yes but more surface area doesn't always mean more flow. OEM filters are made cheap thats why they don't last as long. They also don't flow well, theres a reason a filter will make hp (no matter how small its still HP) even with a smaller surface area.

And yes its true engineers aren't really worried more about performance but more about federal regulations. There not worried about how fast you can go or how fast you can stop but there worried about how fast they can sell. Thats why most cars now a days are a PITA to work on. They don't want people working on them themselfes but they want dealers to work on them.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: bluej511
Yes but more surface area doesn't always mean more flow. OEM filters are made cheap thats why they don't last as long. They also don't flow well, theres a reason a filter will make hp (no matter how small its still HP) even with a smaller surface area.
Actaully that's not true.. Maybe 10-15 years ago it most certianly was but not recently. When clean, neither the K&N or the BMC street filter flow more than the OEM Honda filter. In fact the OEM outflows the K&N by a few CFM, and the BMC streetis almost identical to the OEM. When dirty (and I mean really dirty)the K&N & BMC then will both outflow the OEM, but agian not by much. The REAL advantage of the K&Nand BMC filters is that they are washable a reusable, so ifyou're going to keep you bike form a long time it migh be worth it, butIf you're looking for bolt-on performance look someplace else.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:15 AM

Is there any flow charts to prove this?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:19 AM

Are there any to to prove yours? and I mean an indepent source, not K&N or BMC, and on a CBR600RR filter.

But to answer your question, Yes I had flow charts from the testing that I personally did on a flow bench on all three air filters. The down side is I no longer have these, otherwise I would have scanned them in and posted them up.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:00 AM

Interesting article on air flow of stock and aftermarket filters in general.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Old 01-07-2008, 03:59 PM

Nope i got no flow charts so its a dead end haha

Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: bluej511

And yes its true engineers aren't really worried more about performance but more about federal regulations. There not worried about how fast you can go or how fast you can stop but there worried about how fast they can sell. Thats why most cars now a days are a PITA to work on. They don't want people working on them themselfes but they want dealers to work on them.
I agree in theory on cars, but the ultra-competitive 600cc class is completely different. Every HP they can squeeze helps in how fast they can sell in terms of marketing. The "shootouts" make statistically small differences in HP/torque seem huge on a spec sheet, so perfformance is VERY importatnt to them. Hondas have always been a balance of reliability and performance without sacrificing filtration. They're OE stuff is really pretty good for performance, at least in the last several years as FI has really gotten dialed. Just my two cents. Grazi