Volcom's 07 600RR Rebuild - Near Completion

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcom's 07 600RR Rebuild - Near Completion

I recently purchased a salvaged 07 600RR to rebuild for the use of the 2009 Racing season through WERA Mid-Atlantic Region. Asyou guys know the frame looked like it had been hit by a RPG or something. In my search for a new frame, I found a guy that was parting out an 07 600RR and had a frame up for sale, but no title. No worries cause you dont need that to race. His 07 was an insurance claim bike. So he also threw in some other parts with the frame for a great deal. Ill list the parts and prices down below to keep up w/ how much im putting into this bike.... frame and other parts shipped out this morning.

Salvaged 07 CBR600RR - $1650
Package Deal (Frame
Rectifier
Complete wiring harness
Battery
Clutch Cable
Clutch Lever
Left Rearset) - $675 Shipped
OEM Windscreen -$35 shipped
Front Rim w/ rotors - $275 shipped
Forks and Tripples: $375 shipped
OEM Exhaust: $44
Stator Cover: $41 (NEW)
Upper Stay: $64 (NEW)
Clutch Perch: $15 (NEW)
Brake Lever: $33 (NEW)
Radiator: $160
Race Fairings: $375
Professional Paint: $150 (My neighboor hooked me up with a good price)
Misc: $50
Total Cost: $3942

Original Estimated Cost: $3k w/out race fairings (pretty close estimate)

Pics of the frame:

Last edited by volcomrr; 02-23-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Default RE: volcom's 07 600RR Rebuild - Parts

Wouldn't an "insurrance claim" bike have at least a salvage title, or a certificate of destruction?

Great price, just be careful you don't end up with the POPO knocking on your door (call me paranoid, but the whole parting out salvage w/o a title has always send bad vibes through me).

I was kind of worried you were going to try to rebuild the bent frame, but that one looks to be in GREAT shape. good find.

Looks like yougot most of the "hard Parts" that you needed... keep up the good work. You'll be "race ready in no time.

Take advantage of the rebuild, and safety wire evrything while you put it together.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 PM

thanks Rice.... yea safety wiring a bike is a pain, i thought i was never going to get the safety wiring done on my 05, I went through 15 1/16" drill bits.... yea im def. gonna do the safety wiring as I go along and have the parts dismantled

yea the guy I got the frame from had a great ebay status, and went I sent the paypal order his paypal account was straight too.... so it seems to be comin from straight up guy.... he said he buys a lot of insurance bikes, gets what he wants from them and then gets rid of the rest, and he sent me a pic of the insurance claim bike and it was exactly as described before he sent it to me. So.... hopefully the law wont be after me

Old 12-30-2008, 02:03 PM

If he has the insurance paperwork, you should be good to go.

But keep printed records of the transaction just in case.

Ans yes, it will be WAAAY easier to safety wire as you go, than to finish reasembling and then having to go back in and disasemble just to safety wire the parts after the fact.

You probably know this, but get the WERA, and AMA rulebooks. that way you not only know exactly which parts HAVE to be safety wired, but also what mods/ upgrades you can do without bumping you out of the class you want to race in.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent 8 years working on F-14 Tomcats. I can safety wire virtually anything. It was a pain at first but it's a good talent to have.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:20 PM

yea i raced this past year through WERA in C Superstock, C Superbike, and also B Superstock, so I know the WERA rules on safety wiring, i have a WERA rule book siting in the back seat of my truck, haha.... after my first two racesWERA made a new rule saying you cant "guke" the clutch case plug, it has to be safety wired now.... which i think isbetter than guking it because if you ever needed to take the plug out you wouldn't have a bunch of dried up guke around it

Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Alright, so the parts came in today. Frame, wiring harness, clutch lever, clutch cable, battery, rectifier, and left rear set all in excellent condition. Thanks adam!

I'll start to strip the bike down on saturday and take some more pics of the progress.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:05 PM

Good man...post er up when you get a chance

Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 PM

Today started the tear down of Roxanne, the 2007 600RR. 3 problems occured during the tear down. 1st: I need a new clutch perch mount. 2nd: I need a new radiator (no big deal, theres a bunch going around) 3rd: this one is the kicker, i think i need a new right fork! ahhh, I wont know for sure until I get it off and spin it.... lets hope I dont, but im not going to swet it if I do.... So I took notes and pictures of everything I did, marking down in my notes what page in the service manual i was corresponding with.... I started from the rear and worked my way to the front, but around the the engine (thats gonna be last). I didn't get as far as I wanted to today, but im happy with what I did get done, my girlfriend needed to go eat supper with her friend and I road w/ her over to her parents house where Roxanne is located.... so heres the progress, in order of what I took apart first going to what I took apart last. This is somewhat of a how-to tear down an 07-08 600RR.
(WARNING: This is not a complete tear down of an 07 600RR since it is salvaged, therefor, missing some fairings that I dont have to take off, haha)

- Removed driver and passenger seats (owners manual)

- Removed rear cowl (owners manual)

- Removed seat lock assembly
Name:  DSC01224-1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  89.1 KB

- Removal of Fuel Tank (here is the meat and potatos, where I really started to smile, ive never done this before) (6-50 Serivce Manual)
- After the front bolts were taken out to just raise the tank, I disconnected the "Quick connect Fitting (Brown Connector)," Removed the fuel level sensor, removed the tank mounts, and then simply lifted the tank off.

Name:  DSC01225.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  DSC01228.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  DSC01229.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  72.3 KB

- Next I removed the Engine Gaurd Rubber (Service Manual 6-51)
Name:  DSC01232.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  DSC01233.jpg
Size:  58.2 KB

Old 01-10-2009, 09:33 PM

- Next I removed the left and right rear sets, but I left the reservoir for the rear brake connected to the right rear set and just removed the bolt out of the rear brake (heat shields were also taken out in this step, which are going to be discarded due to squid taking a hacksaw and choping the muffler in half)

- I then moved on to the removal of Fender "B," which is basically the battery try, but this involved the removal of the servomotor (a little but of a pain, but still enjoyable, i might leave the servomotor off, dont really need it for racing, well see) (Service Manual 3-14)
- Servo EGCU Motor Removal (3-14 directed to Service Manual 6-80)
Name:  DSC01237.jpg
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  DSC01238.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  DSC01240.jpg
Size:  65.3 KB

Battery tray is cracked, no worries, just needs to hold the battery, nothin more, i hope
Name:  DSC01241.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  79.1 KB

- For some reason, I removed the starter relay switch (Service Manual 19-14)
Name:  DSC01244.jpg
Size:  56.3 KB

The brake light switch was attached to this also, but its not going back on, no brake lights in racing!
Name:  DSC01248.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  46.0 KB

Quick Reply: Volcom's 07 600RR Rebuild - Near Completion