Visibility Question on LED's & Integrated??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visibility Question on LED's & Integrated??

OK, I'm into the flying world which means in part that we really REALLY try to be seen up there at 500+ mph. So we got strobes quad flashing, landing & recognition & tail lights burning all over the place, etc.

So my question & concern is: If I switch to LED turn signals flush mounted, smaller, etc., and an integrated brake tail light, am I giving up any visibility on the road to other drivers. Bikes are hard enough to see. I'm really into being seen for safety, hence my question.

I'm such a newbie that I haven't had the privilege of seeing what these look like in real life yet -- therefore my question.

Thanks in advance,

Old 04-20-2006, 02:15 AM
Default RE: Visibility Question on LED's & Integrated??

i think that with the front you loose alot of visability. Plus you have to be on that side to see it. but the rear i think helps improve it. I think it catches alot of attention cause its bright LED that flashes with brake light. IMO

J

Old 04-20-2006, 10:03 AM

I understand your concern, I just ordered a rear intergrated tail light and was contiplating whether or not to get front LEDs, not flush mount though, similar to a short stalk type. Anyway, for visibility sake I think the OEM lights are adequate and provide sufficient lighting. You can always do better, though. IMO, flushmounts in the front reduce visibility as lang stated. If you are sitting at a light, on-coming traffic is not going to know what you are doing until they are up on you and that's assuming they see you in the first place. As for the rear, you have to assume that the driver behind you is also paying attention. They are too many distractions these days especially with people on cell phones, kids, etc. I just try to be as conspicous as possible.

I think I will get front LEDs

Jet, there are all kinds of LED configurations to select from. I've seen strobe tail lights and front LEDs, numerous color selections and sizes. You name it you can get it. I can't say any of it is legal, but you get it.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:57 AM

Frerice thanks for the input. Where is the best place to start looking at lighting options? I would tend to go for BRIGHT + seriously attention getting. I wouldn't worry about legality so much.

For example, my Corvette Z06 has awesome race track worthy brakes that enable me to stop FAR faster than the typical "mom-mobile" out there with her cell phone & screamin kids. I heard about & experienced near misses from the rear so much that I installed a 3rd brake light flasher on the Vette. It pulses 10 times rapidly then goes to steady when I apply the brakes.

You can literally see the difference when you drive. Folks stay back. Folks stop sooner behind you. They don't tail you so much in traffic. I haven't had a near rear-end collision since putting it on.

So I'd like to do similar things on my new RR cause it stops even better than the Z06.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:12 PM

I'm at work right now, I'll PM you tonight with a couple of links.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 PM

My thoughts on the flushmounts in the front is yes you do lose visability, but your supposed to ride like they can't see you anyways so be prepared and expect they will pick you off. Not only do they look much cleaner then stock they are brighter and IF you go down it won't punch a hole in that $700 upper cowl like the stock ones will.

As for the rears i personally leave it stock because of the fact that that is the place you have the least amount of control over is whats behind you. So i try and leave as much as possible there for the cager behind me!

Old 04-21-2006, 10:41 AM

I would agree somewhat on the fronts during the day, but at night the LED in much brighter. I don't have the integrated light on the back, I have FE kit with LED signals and I will say they are much brighter than the stock ones at all times of the day.