Using a cellphone with my helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Using a cellphone with my helmet

I can see what you mean, but how is that different than coming up to a light and having to decide whether to go right or left or perhaps straight? Or maybe your stomach rumbles and you need to decide where to eat?

Believe me I'm not advocating having a discussion on the latest news or planning a family vacation while riding, but some quick sentences to each other? I can't see how that would be distracting enough to warrant not doing it.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:05 AM

ORIGINAL: camaro_forums

I can see what you mean, but how is that different than coming up to a light and having to decide whether to go right or left or perhaps straight? Or maybe your stomach rumbles and you need to decide where to eat?

Believe me I'm not advocating having a discussion on the latest news or planning a family vacation while riding, but some quick sentences to each other? I can't see how that would be distracting enough to warrant not doing it.

You're right, but at a light, you're not moving. The risks are lower because you have only the folks behind you to worry about. Maybe save the chatterbox convo for a light? That would make good sense and cut out on the background noise of an intersection.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:16 AM

Ah well, this is all coming from a guy who texts and drives sometimes so ya maybe I'm wrong.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:06 AM

well first off, riding with your cell-phone in hand is just stupid - you could hit a bump and drop it................................................ .. oh yea, and it's unsafe haha

but get a newer phone (i have a sony ericsson w580i - but ANY phone that has A2DP*) then you can purchase a wireless head-set (i picked up the Stereo Bluetoothâ„¢ Headset HBH-DS970 http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...c=in&lc=en) this is an awesome headset for music and talking, but i usually suggest being at a stoplight or pulled over when doing so.. I have talked on the phone with this headset while cruising (which is max 35mph) and people just think im jogging while talking.

but once again like everyone else - it's unsafe to talk while riding or driving, most of the idoits that you see in a car accident were on a cell-phone - dont be a statistic.

this is just another option besides chatterbox

*Bluetoothâ„¢ stereo (A2DP)
Music from phone to headset over a wireless connection

Old 03-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although using the phone while riding sounds cool I don't even agree with people listening to music while sport-riding. But since I've never tried it, I'm a bit biased. But I can see how it can help with rhythm and relaxation in the twisties.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Although using the phone while riding sounds cool I don't even agree with people listening to music while sport-riding. But since I've never tried it, I'm a bit biased. But I can see how it can help with rhythm and relaxation in the twisties.
i was just going to say that. from the other threadsi think tons of folks herelisten to music while riding which can be just as distracting.Most of the jackets nowadays have a Ipod pocket and specific routes for your headphones to travel....i dont have the need to answer the phone while riding buti love riding withmusic []

Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 PM

I tried once to wear my earbuds while riding... HATED IT.

I much rather wear propper earpplugs to save my hearing, plus they allow all the important noises through while blocking the wind noise that wears you down.

If the cellphone rings while riding... they can leave a message. I'll call whoever back when I have a chance to stop.

Just because I have a cellphone doesn't mean that anyone can impose that i be availble at all times. same with my home phone. if you call me at an inconvenient time (if it is a telemarketer it will be an inconvenient time regardless) I will politely BUT FIRMLY let you know that it is not a good time, and hang up. No if ands or buts, you don't geta say in it. The conversation stops right there.

I ride to get away from it all...

Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 PM

well just like wearing new gear (like first time wearing leather golves or riding boots) it takes some time to get used to.. same with with listening to music while riding. I understand it takes away some important noises (like paramedics and fire-trucks) but if you have the music at the right level, you are able to have best of both worlds. Talking on the cell-phone is more distracting then listening to music, you can take your concentration away from listening to music when you get to a situation like a 4-way stop or something that makes you think on the spot. I think people just say "it's nice to cut down on wind-noise" as an additive - it's like the kicker to the 4 Aces.

but music kind-of puts you into your own world - you should be able enough to use visual senses to get by in riding, it's not like deaf-impaired dont drive. it's whenyour mind is thinking about the question at hand from John Q "well how am i doing today?"*your mind thinks*. Andthat's when you become a risk while driving/riding.

I'm not saying music while riding is for everyone, but it's something safe you can do if your responsible enough (ex. not opening your phone while riding and changing the song or standing up on the bike dancing to your jam haha)

.............anyways, it's the only time I get to actually sing with my musicand not get humliated for it [8D]

Old 03-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well whaddya know; after opening this discussion yesterday, I ride with a guy who was on the phone. He says he's been doing it for years and said, "I guess it depends on the person." He had a wired system installed into his helmet. I didn't inquire about it, as I wasn't interested.

I tell ppl, that if they want to reach me and the KNOW I'm riding, send me a text. I'll answer it if/when I can.