Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need cellphone decision help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need cellphone decision help

Ok. I have two months left with Alltel. I've never had problems with them just usually my phone. They arnt 3G which I'm not sure if I even need that. Soooo I can renew my plan and get the discounts on a new phone (thinking of blackberry pearl) or I could go to AT&T and get an iphone for $200.

I do not use my phone a lot. When I use the internet I go to a couple of sites (just shows words, no pics).

1. If I get an iphone what are my plan options? Do I have to pay some high *** plan just so I can talk and get on the web for 5 minutes or can the web run off my minutes? Last thing I head when they came out it was an auto $100 a month billing for them.

2. Do all those options on the iphone (maps, facebook, gps, etc) cost extra or what?

3. I heard at&t billing is a nightmare.

4. Does the iphone us a sim card?

Old 11-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: Need cellphone decision help

I will share my opinion with you, and for you Ranger, this should be right up your alley.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

Old 11-23-2008, 03:42 PM
VP

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

Ok. I have two months left with Alltel. I've never had problems with them just usually my phone. They arnt 3G which I'm not sure if I even need that. Soooo I can renew my plan and get the discounts on a new phone (thinking of blackberry pearl) or I could go to AT&T and get an iphone for $200.

I do not use my phone a lot. When I use the internet I go to a couple of sites (just shows words, no pics).

1. If I get an iphone what are my plan options? Do I have to pay some high *** plan just so I can talk and get on the web for 5 minutes or can the web run off my minutes? Last thing I head when they came out it was an auto $100 a month billing for them.

2. Do all those options on the iphone (maps, facebook, gps, etc) cost extra or what?

3. I heard at&t billing is a nightmare.

4. Does the iphone us a sim card?
1. iPhone requires a data plan so expect your bill to increase unless you already have a data plan. The typical iPhone customers bill is $125/month after taxes. That's per line on the account. The average non-iPhone user spends $65.
2. GPS/Maps doesn't cost extra to use but as mentioned in my first response, you get them as part of the extra data plan you're already paying for. Facebook just uses the web, which comes with your data plan as well.
3. Billing with any cell phone company is a nightmare...but I have to say AT&T is probably one of the better ones. Expect to get your *** handed to you if you are a Sprint customer.
4. AT&T and T-Mobile are both GSM cell phone companies which means they use Sim Cards in every phone. Verizon, Sprint, MetroPCS, and Altell are CDMA (meaning no sim card). Nextel is iDen which uses a sim card but doesn't operate on a GSM network.

My advice: mobile web is very expensive every month (between $20 and $50/month EXTRA) and is something anyone could effortlessly live without. The iPhone, which I will admit is a very novel idea, is a really good way to convince people to spend the extra money on their bills every month. Now is not the time for you to be throwing money away on your cell phone every month.

With most data devices, like Blackberry, you don't have to have a data feature to use the phone. You can add the feature, see when you get your bill if it was worth it to have that data access/email/GPS (all of which are available on blackberry), and take it off if you don't like it. With the iPhone, you are stuck with it for the length of time that you use that phone.

Just get an iPod touch if you really want a good MP3 player and a Blackberry if you want a really good phone.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:00 PM

I really really like blackberrys, I have owned 4 now and love them. However, in a fit of stupidity I recently traded my blackberry for a G1 and I am already starting to regret it. The feature I used most though is the keyboard, I text A LOT. Blackberry has the best keyboard hands down. If you arent going to use the internet a lot and dont need all the other gadgets I would strongly suggest the blackberry but I would look at a different model.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:38 PM

I would check out Verizon or Sprint. They have the best deals out right now. I am considering to switch from Verizon to Nextel(Sprint). Verizon has the best network around but they cost to much. Nextel/Sprint has an unlimited plan for $99/month. Verizon varies on what phone you have.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:13 PM

lol im on the same boat; i need to upgrade my phone. I got AT&T, so i think im gonna go with the quickfire or iphone. not sure yet.
Oh, if you want an iphone, and you want unlimited eveerything (txts, mins, web, etc..) is 130$$ monthly. Personally , i think is bull****. So my advice is, get an iphone, unlock it and get a plan on a cheaper carrier like tmobile or verizon. Any blackberry phone is awesome , business wise though. The new samsung devices are pretty cool too. If you want a very economical plan, just get hooked on metro pcs. reception sucks though lol

Old 11-23-2008, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

I will share my opinion with you, and for you Ranger, this should be right up your alley.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

Hahah. I was looking for that a month ago. I know the iphone isnt something new. But if i switch I might as well get one.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AT&T sucks. I have a Mogul and it's awesome. I have unlimited everything except minutes (450 since I use about 120 a month) and it only runs 70 a month. Has a great keyboard, 2mpix camera, takes video, huge screen but not a huge phone. Check it out, it's great.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:33 PM

Yup. Cellphone companies make a lot of high margin money. I'm using a palm treo 700wx. I guess my internet runs off my time cause I've never seen it get charged. Also there's a timer that shows when I disconnect.

Sprint has the ****tiest cell reception in this area. My dad has been using sprint through his company for years and it sucks here.

Right now I'm paying $25 a month and I've never gone over so that kinda lets you know where I'm at.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pay right around $82 bucks a month for my iPhone. And I have yet to make any complaints about the AT&T service. I haven't had a problem yet.

I have the 450 minute plan with rollover (I rarely make calls anyway)
I have the 1500 text plan (because I text a lot)

The iPhone plans come with the data plan included, which is unlimited data. Some people complain about it, but to be honest, I'm more than willing to pay for a service I actually use, and is reliable. I used to HATE cell phones and I hardly used mine when I had the POS Razr.

But now that I have the iPhone, you realize just how much more stuff you do on it. Calling it a phone is actually inaccurate. It's a mobile multimedia device that has a phone function. And it's SO much more than just a phone. I use mine for games, text, internet browsing, e-mails, posting on this forum (posting from the iPhone now actually), watching movies, music, etc. etc. Not to mention all the App's for just about anything you want to do.

The iPhone would be worth it even at TWICE the price. I would look into it at least and play around with them. Talk to someone to actually HAS an iPhone for a demonstration. It's amazing how much BS and hate there is out for this phone just because it's an Apple product.

Message sent from my iPhone.

Quick Reply: Need cellphone decision help