Ticket for not putting visor down

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticket for not putting visor down

Well I just got home and almost right in front of my apartment I go through the stoplight and I see flashing lights. Im thinking what I did.. not speeding, no fast accelleration, all my gear on. So I pull over and the officer even says he has a sportbike. I am respectful in every way. So I get end up with an 80 dollar ticket for not having my visor down while riding. In the meantime all these jackasses on scooters and other bikes are going faster than I was and wearing nothing but a tee shirt and shorts, let alone a helmet.

The officer was really nice and everything but I still got a ticket for not having my visor down. All these guys on cruisers dont even have a visor. I usually leave my visor open when I'm stopped and put it down once I get going about 15 or 20. It gets hot as hell with the visor closed and its almost unbearable. Well, I appreciate what the police do and them looking out for mine and everyone elses safety, but I dont see a ticket necessary for having my visor open while going about 20mph and just about to close it when I sped up.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Default RE: Ticket for not putting visor down

I'll bet the cruiser riders either had a windshield higher than the mandate or had shades on, and that the scooter guys and galls all had shades on...

What you got busted for endangering everyone else on the road what do you think would happen if a rock, or a bug, or some other flying projectile were to hit you in the eye rendering that eye useless. you'd freak out, right? you'd loose all control of your motorcycle, possibly take someone else out with you ('cuz you are goin' down) all because you didn't see it necessary to protect your eyes. That's why the law exists. if your motorcycle does not have a windshield over a certain height (in Wisconsin it's 15" or higher above the handle bars, i'm sure it's similar across the US) you're wearing eye protection AT ALL TIMES, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Now do you understand? If the heat is so unbearable, you should buy a different helmet... I wear mine everywhere in all weather conditions. hell, even when i was in Cali i didn't see what everyone was bizatching about. When it's hot in Wisconsin, it's humid as hell to boot. my head is comfortable all the time.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:42 PM

No, rarely does anyone on scooters wear any eye protection and its commonplace to see many people wearing no helmet at all without eye protection on larger bikes (theyre everywhere here). I'm not looking for someone to say I am right or sympathy or anything, just had to vent maybe about getting a ticket. I close my visor after I leave a stop and just hadnt dont that yet. It's ok, I learn something new every day and now I know about that law.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 PM

According to Florida State Law, Eye Protection is a requirement...

Old 08-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Mad

Hmmm. Seems kind of silly to me. Florida has a no helmet law for those 21 and over but thank goodness they make you wear eye protection. You know just in case you fall on your face. At least your eyes will be ok. I guess rocks can't bounce up and hit you in the head in Florida, possibly causing a distraction leading to loss of control. I'd have a hard time not freaking out after getting hit in the forehead with a rock while traveling at 60mph. That's gotta hurt like hell.

I know a little over board but a warning in this case would of been better, in my opionion. The kid would of learned a lesson and possibly never done it again.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 PM

Wow.. hope that cop doesn't see me riding around, cause I don't normally put my visor down unless I'm doing like 30-45 or if I feel like lookin cool. haha

Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The law is what it is, and you have no recourse if you get caught violating it. The best thing to do is get over it.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Mad

Hmmm. Seems kind of silly to me. Florida has a no helmet law for those 21 and over but thank goodness they make you wear eye protection. You know just in case you fall on your face. At least your eyes will be ok. I guess rocks can't bounce up and hit you in the head in Florida, possibly causing a distraction leading to loss of control. I'd have a hard time not freaking out after getting hit in the forehead with a rock while traveling at 60mph. That's gotta hurt like hell.

I know a little over board but a warning in this case would of been better, in my opionion. The kid would of learned a lesson and possibly never done it again.
it's the same story with drunk drivers. you'd think they'd never do it again after getting caught once... but you'd be wrong. at least the officer has something to show for it.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 PM

My visor is usually up below 40. I think a warning would have been enough.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

My visor is usually up below 40. I think a warning would have been enough.
or down when you see a cop... amiright?

Quick Reply: Ticket for not putting visor down