Tail Light mod -- I HATE THE GAP! / *Pass seat cowl fixed*

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008 | 12:15 PM
|
Default RE: Tail Light mod -- I HATE THE GAP!

Okay, so I was able to research and research and research and research and research and research and research and research and finally found a way to get the passenger seat cowl to fit with NO irreversible sanding to any OEM parts. The only sanding I did was to the CA tail light. The lip around the seal of the circuit board and light housing was sanded flush. Also the corners were sanded and so was the top. Thinking back, however, I don't think it was necessary to get the cowl to fit. I'd try NOT sanding the light first and see how it goes.

The problem with the cowl not fitting in is that the plastic hook that fits into the steel bracket at the far back of the tail doesn't insert before the rear of the cowl hits the light's lip (which I sanded down to fix). After that, the rear of the cowl was hitting the top lip of the tail that gets covered by the cowl itself. It was an issue with not enough space between the plastic hook (which is on a "base", attached by screws to the cowl).

So, the first thing I did was add the washers (three small ones) under each screw that holds the rearward part of the tail down. This raises the tail up and away from the tail light's lip.

Next I needed to get the cowl'sbase separated more from the cowl so the plastic hook could get inserted and the cowl would stay above the tail's lip. I did this by taking some rubber grommets (about 1/4" thick) which I believe came off my front OE turn signals. Not sure what they were from. I've removed my rear fender and front turn signals, so it's from one of those components.

I added these grommets in between the rear of the base and the cowl. Tightened them down and problem SOLVED!!!!!!

BEFORE grommets added:

AFTER grommets added:

Old 04-01-2008 | 12:33 PM

I only see a bunch of [sm=redx.gif]

Old 04-01-2008 | 01:14 PM
|

WTF? Okay, I think I fixed it.