Tail Light mod -- I HATE THE GAP! / *Pass seat cowl fixed*

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Light mod -- I HATE THE GAP! / *Pass seat cowl fixed*

So the '05/'06 tail light mod is what came with my CBRHeaven FE kit. I like the kit a lot. Installed it up, but I have TWO problems:

1) The integrated tail light fits about 1/2" from the rearest part of the tail plastics...this leaves a small gap that, ona very clean-lined and beautifully designedbike, looks etrocious.

2) My Honda passenger seat cowl doesn't fit with the light in the tail! ARRRGH!!

So, I know Be Vertical and some other membershave sanded/modified the tail light to fit all the way back and am wondering what exactly what needs to be done to fit this thing SNUG in the tail. Pics of the processwould be GREAT.

I'm waiting for a PM back from Vertical, but was wondering if anybody else could help.

And I don't want to hear how I should've gone with the Rizoma (BlueFox)...................

***Update:***
So, I was able to EASILY fix the issue with my passenger seat cowl not fitting securely for FREE. Scrollto page 2for pics and the write-up on how to do this.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Default RE: Tail Light mod -- I HATE THE GAP!

There is a lip that runs around the rear of the taillight. Basically you pretty much sand that off so that it's even with the rest of the light. This will help a little. And use some serious pressure when you're putting it it in the tail. It won't go all the way in, but you'll get it down to about 1/4".

To fix the gap between the tail and your cowl (and to help the cowl/seat go on easier) Take a couple of small washers and insert them onto the two rear bolts that hold the tail on. This will help clean the lines up when the cowl's on.

Hope this helps...if you need me to take some pictures, let me know, but these two things should help clean up the install.

-Adam

Old 03-22-2008, 11:22 PM

While I'm not sure about the CBRHeaven Kit...Tripage's light fits real snug and there is the smallest gap...but man you have to be picky and really be looking up there to see it. You also have to jam that thing in there pretty good. You think your gonna break something.

Here's what mine looks like:

Name:  Picture139.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  114.5 KB

As for the seat cowl...you have to shave off the hook just slightly....and a couple of extrawashers on the rearscrews inside the red circledoes help. Here's a pic to see what I'm talking about:

Name:  cowl.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  160.7 KB

RED [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-23-2008, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I already have it JAMMED in there. It swells the rear tail on the top and on the sides it's in there so tight. It's not the look that bothers me the most. It's mainly because I can't fit the cowl on and it's a PITA to just get the seat on. Plus, when the seat is on, there's a higher gap in between the bottom of the seat and where it should be sitting on the tail. I really don't want to get into shaving the cowl quite yet, although that may be the easiest answer to my problem with it fitting.

I want to try sanding the lens of the light to see if I can take less pressure off the rear fairing with it being in there so tight. The best FE kit would be a Hangar integrated light (due to fitment) with this license plate bracket.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Retired Super Moderator

no need to shave the cowl woody. I'll see if i can get you a pic today of what i'm talkin about. Shaving that ridge off the taillight really does help.

-Adam

Old 03-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, I really never liked this modification. No matter how good of a job that I see with this mod, it still looks awkward, especially with the muffler (aftermarket or stock) jammed up almost touching it. But then again, I'm VERY picky when it comes to modifications and the way things look on my bike. So it could just be me.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

To be honest, I really never liked this modification. No matter how good of a job that I see with this mod, it still looks awkward, especially with the muffler (aftermarket or stock) jammed up almost touching it. But then again, I'm VERY picky when it comes to modifications and the way things look on my bike. So it could just be me.

I agree.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ About me being a Picky S.O.B. or with my opinion?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:59 PM

Your opinion.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

^^ About me being a Picky S.O.B. or with my opinion?
Both

I don't mind it that much with an aftermarket pipe, (I actually think it looks good)

But I do'nt like the idea of hacking off half of the under tail to jam the brakelight in there. You loose several mounting tabs, plus you get that much more of a chance of water getting in where it shouldn't if you have to ride through a puddle.

Quick Reply: Tail Light mod -- I HATE THE GAP! / *Pass seat cowl fixed*