Tail Light mod -- I HATE THE GAP! / *Pass seat cowl fixed*

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tail Light mod -- I HATE THE GAP!

does tje rear seat stillfit with thetripage kit?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:27 PM

Jcub, Tripage uses the exact same rear tail light. It fits, just really tight with a small gap underneath towards the far back of the tail (about 1/2" gap between the light and tail).

Whiterice, I didn't feel to comfortable hacking up the plastic either, but there's really not any "mounting tabs" in there except for the very rear one that is actually hacked off. That "tab" though is really more to fill the void under the tail when it's in place, which the light fills once the plastic is removed.

Blue, I agreed with you once. The worst part about ANY FE kit I've seen for the '07/08 models is that I felt I had to "settle" on what I thought was the best. I really didn't think one was FAR above and beyond better than the next. If CBR Heaven wasn't around, I'd get the Tripage. The only thing I don't like about the Tripage is the LED's on the hugger -- I don't think that's a smart place (for reliability/longevity)to mount a license plate light.

Adam/isolated, Can you post those pics of the part that needs shaving? I'll play around with the washer idea to "raise" the back part of the tail up. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Retired Super Moderator

Here ya go!

The blue arrows point to the lip that i was talking about, which i sanded down flush with the rest of the light.

The green arrows point to the bolt i was talking about, and where i added the washers to help correct for the way the taillight changes the shape of the tail.

Name:  P3240043.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  34.1 KB

Hope this helps woody!

-Adam

Old 03-25-2008, 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

To be honest, I really never liked this modification. No matter how good of a job that I see with this mod, it still looks awkward, especially with the muffler (aftermarket or stock) jammed up almost touching it. But then again, I'm VERY picky when it comes to modifications and the way things look on my bike. So it could just be me.
agreed. thats why i followed bluefox down the financial gauntlet and went with rizoma stuff.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 AM

Adam, that's the lip I thought you were talking about. My light sits just about as far backas yours doesin that pic though. However, shaving that lip and adding the washersshould get my cowl to fit back on.

From what I can gather, the fitment gets tight around the top/apex area of the light and the rearward (portion towards the rear of the bike)sides where they start curving to form the "viewing" area of the lens from behind. I'll shave the lip you're talking about and see if I can figure out the rest on my own.

ORIGINAL: OKIEZAC

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

To be honest, I really never liked this modification. No matter how good of a job that I see with this mod, it still looks awkward, especially with the muffler (aftermarket or stock) jammed up almost touching it. But then again, I'm VERY picky when it comes to modifications and the way things look on my bike. So it could just be me.
agreed. thats why i followed bluefox down the financial gauntlet and went with rizoma stuff.
Rizoma makes some great, high-quality products, but their FE kit looks too bulky IMO and thelicense plate sticks out too much with it. I still think it looks good, just not good enough to fork over the extra dough on...

Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 AM

This gap problem was the reason I bought the Hanger R/D light. If my Laser exhaust hadn't required a mounting point using the battery tray (in a way that the Hanger light wouldn't have worked), I would be using it now. Since it's basically JUST like the 05/06 light conversion... only there's no fitment issues with the cowl/seat, you don't have to CRAM the thing in there (no tail stretch), and ZERO gap... plus a more "customized" option on both the brake light and turn signals.

There's a good thread to read out there on what sanding modifications you should make... I'm having trouble digging it up (I'm on site in Florida), but I'm sure if you search 600rr.net enough, you'll find it.

Oh... Shameless plug time! If someone's looking at this option... I still have my hanger tail light for sale (only reason I'm selling it is due to the special way the Laser exhaust mounts, making it impossible to fit the light).
https://cbrforum.com/m_494131/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Old 03-25-2008, 02:25 PM

WHY NOT JUST GET THE HANGAR? ISN'T THAT THE BEST?

ORIGINAL: WoodyRR

Jcub, Tripage uses the exact same rear tail light. It fits, just really tight with a small gap underneath towards the far back of the tail (about 1/2" gap between the light and tail).

Whiterice, I didn't feel to comfortable hacking up the plastic either, but there's really not any "mounting tabs" in there except for the very rear one that is actually hacked off. That "tab" though is really more to fill the void under the tail when it's in place, which the light fills once the plastic is removed.

Blue, I agreed with you once. The worst part about ANY FE kit I've seen for the '07/08 models is that I felt I had to "settle" on what I thought was the best. I really didn't think one was FAR above and beyond better than the next. If CBR Heaven wasn't around, I'd get the Tripage. The only thing I don't like about the Tripage is the LED's on the hugger -- I don't think that's a smart place (for reliability/longevity)to mount a license plate light.

Adam/isolated, Can you post those pics of the part that needs shaving? I'll play around with the washer idea to "raise" the back part of the tail up. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 PM

I just found out about the Hangar. But not only am I a day late, but a few bucks short as well...they're selling for about $200. My next investment over $50 was going to be for riding shoes/boots. The Hanger may just have to stay on the list and I'll hang up this project for now.

I tried shaving/sanding that lip down and it didn't do anything better. Also added the washers and no avail. I'm sure I just need to sand down more "lip" but I'm just frustrated with this thing at this point and am going to wait to get the extra dough for the Hanger.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:44 PM

what wires do you hook up for the plate light?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 PM

I know it's been a couple days but you need to splicethe red LED plate wire to the red wire coming out of the tail light. Black LED light wire gets spliced to the black tail light wire. Let me know if you need anymore help. PM me if need be.

Quick Reply: Tail Light mod -- I HATE THE GAP! / *Pass seat cowl fixed*