Stock exhaust... can it be opened up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock exhaust... can it be opened up?

Well my real question is this... I have a 1988 Hawk 650GT, a first genration of the single side swing arm.

I am gonna be customizing it over the winter and one of the thing I want to do is up the juice a little with a stage 3 Jet, pod filters and exhaust along with a new tank, seat, subframe and rear shock.

From this
Name:  hawk_rtside.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  22.2 KB
Name:  shaved_hawk.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  40.0 KB

To this
Name:  cool_hawk.jpg
Views: 1957
Size:  92.4 KB
Name:  normal_HawkR.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  59.0 KB

But want to get my exhaust under tail instead of under engine like Alex's.

So I was looking at a stock rear off a 600rr and was thinking I could mod the sub some more and raise the tail a little more and it might fit.

But if I do this do you think the exhaust will be free flowing enough from my stock can? or can you open them up and mod them to make it more free?

Just a out of the blue wierd and don't think anyone is gonna have a real answer... but what the heck.

Rob

Old 10-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Default RE: Stock exhaust... can it be opened up?

Just so you know, Jet kits don't add horsepower. they are used to tune out problems. The only juice you're going to get is the gasoline being fired out the tailpipe.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:07 AM

I dont have an answer to your question, but I dig your bike.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:16 AM

You can gut anything... putting it back together is the hard part.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:46 AM

Can you core the stock 600rr can.... Yes.
Is it worth it........NO WAY.

I saw a thread on it on some other forum and in the end because of the design it took forever and ended up looking like crap (had to be cut open and then welded shut afterwards). He just threw it and paid $75.00 of r a used slip-on off e-bay.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:10 AM

I got two friends with hawks. You'll have to do a lot of modification to the rear end of your bike and the exhaust off an RR to fit it. The subframe off a 600RR also will be hard to manipulate since they are actually 5 forged metal pieces bolted together tightly. It would be better to build yourself a custom made subframe (that gray one you posted looks like to have a new custom frame or a modded one) and then have a custom made tail pipe and exhaust to fit it. Then you'd need a tail faring/cowl and seat made unless you get to modify an RR faring.

It could be done, but your talking about a lot of labor and a lot of $$$. If you have the tools and know how, go for it. For a shop to do it, your looking at at least $800 in labor.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: arkansashog

I dont have an answer to your question, but I dig your bike.

+1

but do you think hot exhaust on your rear tire is a good idea..... wouldnt that raise the temp above normal operating tempratures degrading life and performance of the rubber

Old 11-02-2006, 10:14 AM

Well the sub-frame on the gray bike is a stock sub that has been cut up a bit and welded on to make the tank and seat fit.

My plan is to use a extra sub I bought and reto it to work by adding in some longer down bars to raise the rear end up a little more to get the 600rr can under the seat. I don't plan on adding any palstic to the rear. I hate plastic! I like things to be more industrial looking a la street fighter style.

As for the can I might just go ahead and try it stock and see how it works with the jet and pods and tinker with it from there. The 600rr can has to be more free flowing than the OE Hawk exhaust.

Rob