Rideing with music??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rideing with music??

Hey guys i was wondering do you think its safe to ride while listening to your ipod??? Thought i should ask first..

Old 05-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Default RE: Rideing with music??

Provided you otherwise have your wits about you, it shouldn't be an issue.

I ride with earplugs (not music) to cut down on engine and wind noise, and I can still hear
cars around me, sirens and even music from some cars. Provided you keep the level where you
can hear an emergency situation, it shouldn't be an issue.

Personally, I tried riding with music, and I found it made my mind wander, and became a distraction so I don't do it anymore.

Chris.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:52 PM

I had the same wondering thought,, thanks maybe i start with earplugs and go from there...

Old 05-08-2007, 03:53 PM

i know a ton of people that do it. as long as you can hear what your surrounds are, and you're resonable, you should be fine.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:18 PM

i ride with my ipod all the time...i have them hooked to speakers that are inside the helmet that i got from helmetaudio...not too loud but loud enough so you can know what your listening to

Old 05-08-2007, 05:39 PM

Generally speaking it is not a good idea. It is all about managing risk.
Reason:
1. At some point you will be fiddling with the ipod or song selection or ear piece and will be distracted for a few moments.
2. May not hear something while the music is playing.
3. The brain can only concentrate on a few items at one time.
Not to say I have not ridden with music playing. On my cruiser bike I have a full intercom system with music, ipod, cell phone. But on the cruiser bike I am cruising down the road at the speed limit etc.... A sport bike is a different animal that likes to goof on the road.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:36 PM

its also illegal, so dont get pulled over.. ive tried it before but my mind wonders a bit sometimes when i have a good song on...i dont know, i have mixed reactions about it.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:00 AM

ORIGINAL: ducbob

Reason:
1. At some point you will be fiddling with the ipod or song selection or ear piece and will be distracted for a few moments.
Not to say I have not ridden with music playing. On my cruiser bike I have a full intercom system with music, ipod, cell phone. But on the cruiser bike I am cruising down the road at the speed limit etc.... A sport bike is a different animal that likes to goof on the road.
I agree and disagree with ya man
I use an mp3 player and noise canceling headphones everytime i go for long rides on the highway. I don't use it in town or when riding local. To much going on. It's great for long highway runs. If your going to be on the highway for an hour straight it's worth it. I got some sony earbuds from best buy for 40 bucks that help cancel out the wind noise.

As for #1 i don't fiddle with anything. but the volume once when i first take off and get to highway speed. Set a playlist and let it play. Turn it on before ya take off and make sure your head phones are comfy. If one starts to bug me i pull over and fix it.

#2- How much can ya hear at 70 mph, not to damn much. As for city i agree with ya.

#3-If this is a problem you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

Sounds like ya got a nice touring bike, wish i could afford one of those 3/12 hours straight on a 600rr is a little hard on the back and legs.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:56 AM

ORIGINAL: transambird_2000

ORIGINAL: ducbob

Reason:
I agree and disagree with ya man
I use an mp3 player and noise canceling headphones everytime i go for long rides on the highway. I don't use it in town or when riding local. To much going on. It's great for long highway runs. If your going to be on the highway for an hour straight it's worth it. I got some sony earbuds from best buy for 40 bucks that help cancel out the wind noise.

As for #1 i don't fiddle with anything. but the volume once when i first take off and get to highway speed. Set a playlist and let it play. Turn it on before ya take off and make sure your head phones are comfy. If one starts to bug me i pull over and fix it.

#2- How much can ya hear at 70 mph, not to damn much. As for city i agree with ya.

#3-If this is a problem you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

Sounds like ya got a nice touring bike, wish i could afford one of those 3/12 hours straight on a 600rr is a little hard on the back and legs.
1 hour straight highway?...ouch...

Old 05-09-2007, 08:35 PM

yeah really Id never want to go on the highway for an hour straight. I use my ipod for longer trips though and sometimes my mind wanders as well, so I dont use it all the time

Quick Reply: Rideing with music??