Racing kit plastics

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing kit plastics

Is there a general consensus on the quality of these racing kit fairings? Are they comparable to OEM fairings? Do they actually detract from the value of a bike?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 AM

Are you referring to a specific brand of after market plastics?
Some after market plastics will fit better than others, but don't expect any non-OEM plastics to fit 100% like OEM.
In almost all cases, after market plastics will detract from the value of the bike. The reason is, if you have after market plastics, that usually means the OEM plastics got beat up--meaning the bike has been down. You can probably prepare yourself for this foreseeable question for potential buyers (when you do sell it). You could take detailed pictures of the bike with OEM plastics, then take pictures of the after market plastics on the bike. Perhaps have some proof in the picture that this all went down on the same day.
I say it will almost always detract from value because some people are just gaga over Repsol plastics for example, so that may be a selling point for some. With non-OEM plastics, your market will be more limited.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Thanks for your answer. I asked the question when I first started researching this because I was considering buying a bike with Movistar plastics. Since I didn't immediately receive any answers I continued to research on my own.

I have found that in general aftermarket plastics are inferior to OEM and even the best will have some fitment problems. Naturally, most people only buy these kits to replaced damaged OEM fairings, and damaged fairings means the bike was laid down. One of the things that really bugs me is the tank cover. Without removing it you have no idea of the original tank's condition.

In the end, I feel that aftermarket race fairing kits are just one more variable in the already difficult process of buying a used motorcycle and have decided to exclude them from consideration.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:32 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Timr
I have found that in general aftermarket plastics are inferior to OEM and even the best will have some fitment problems. Naturally, most people only buy these kits to replaced damaged OEM fairings, and damaged fairings means the bike was laid down. One of the things that really bugs me is the tank cover. Without removing it you have no idea of the original tank's condition.

In the end, I feel that aftermarket race fairing kits are just one more variable in the already difficult process of buying a used motorcycle and have decided to exclude them from consideration.
The general consensus is that aftermarket one can not stand up to OEM but I know from experience that is not always true. Now yes if you go with a very cheap kit of Ebay then there is a chance you will have problems but I replaced my OEM kit with a aftermarket one and everything fit perfect and lasted long as well.

When you say race plastics does this mean they don't have headlights, turn signals, etc... If so I would stay away.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by R Dub
The general consensus is that aftermarket one can not stand up to OEM but I know from experience that is not always true. Now yes if you go with a very cheap kit of Ebay then there is a chance you will have problems but I replaced my OEM kit with a aftermarket one and everything fit perfect and lasted long as well.

When you say race plastics does this mean they don't have headlights, turn signals, etc... If so I would stay away.
I noticed there are number of aftermarket manufacturers. Do you know in order of quality which are best and worst?

When I say race plastics, I mean a Movistar race replica kit, not necessarily a track setup. But, it does turn out that the bike is lacking signals. I don't care for that either.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Timr
I noticed there are number of aftermarket manufacturers. Do you know in order of quality which are best and worst?

When I say race plastics, I mean a Movistar race replica kit, not necessarily a track setup. But, it does turn out that the bike is lacking signals. I don't care for that either.
There are far too many aftermarket companies to list them but I got mine from Delkevic and they were good but as far as I know they don't make a Movistar kit.