Questions on 1st bike purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on 1st bike purchase...

Winter is almost here and it's also almost time for me to buy a 06 CBR 600RR...
I will most likely be buying mid to late December.

Few questions...

1) What kind of price should I be looking for in mid to late Dec? I know prices will be cheaper due to end of year/new models/off season, but what numbers should I try and get it for?

2) What has everyone done with financing? The thing is, I DO NOT want to pay full coverage because I cant afford it. So liability/comprehensive is the only option. Has anyone financed through the Honda Credit card and if so how was/is that going?

I tried getting a personal loan from my bank, but did not have enough collateral... so unless i can get my car paid off by december, that is out of the question.

Any other financing suggestions are welcome, just as long as they dont require you to carry full coverage.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Default RE: Questions on 1st bike purchase...

All questions can be thrown out
The CBR600RR is not a bike for new riders!
This bike has an extreeme tendancy to kick your *** if you don't know what you're doing, AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE DOING YET!

[i]Buy a Standard Sport class bike first before you think of buying a 105hp 400 lbs friggin S/S missle that the CBR600RR is. You will learn the fundamentals of motorcycling better and retain them easier if you aren't scared as hell to get on it again, becasue i friggin guarantee that you will get spooked on this bike, or any SuperSport 600cc I-4 motorcycle sporting a racing class power plant.

Any of the following bikes will be worth while:

Kawasaki EX500R Ninja (Any year)
Kawasaki EX650R Ninja (Introduced Last year, great bike)
Suzuki GS500 (Newer if you can find one)
Suzuki SV650 (Great V-Twin power)

Old 10-05-2006, 07:23 PM

hmmm... alright, i guess i forgot to mention

I ALREADY KNOW HOW TO RIDE A BIKE

Ive just never bought one before.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:24 PM

How long have you been riding SuperSport Bikes slick?

Old 10-05-2006, 07:34 PM

well.... started learning about 3 years ago maybe??? my friends dad had a sportbike, my friend bought one and his dad and him taught me slowly over a long period of time. both had suzukis.

i havent taken the test, we would just take the bikes out in the country roads and every once and a while into the city.

im not a pro by any means, but im comfortable riding. i think i would do fine on a 600rr

Regardless of whether or not I know how to ride or how long I've known... I'm just asking these questions so I'm better prepared in the winter. I realize why you said what you said, but I know how to ride and would just like some opinions/answers to my questions. thanks.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:35 PM

I stand behind knightslugger on this one. these are a bit different from your dads shadow 600. but to answer your question, i financed through the Honda card and it was fine for me. i qualified and everything on my own but with a little help from my dads awesome credit i got tier 1 w/ a $20,000 limit and 8% interest. and i don't have full coverage. cuz 'the man' hates me and gave me too many speeding tickets w/ my camaro's so insurance sucks for me right now. but listen to slugger, it doesn't matter how beautiful of a bike you have to show off if your in the ICU.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 PM

Well hate to burst your bubble....but if your gonna finance it..gonna have to have full in case **** happens insurance....and im pretty sure thats all youll hear on that note...so an 06 may not be in the cards sport....best of luck tho.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:45 PM

Alright, thanks for the opinions guys.

And thanks for answering my one question Crotchmyrocket!

Can anyone else answer any of my questions?

Old 10-05-2006, 08:07 PM

So you think you know how to ride because you've been out on the country roads (straight as friggin arrow no doubt) and a few skermishes into the city... get real. If that's all you'll ever do, get a more comfortable bike, like a BMW or a weekend cruiser. But i guess once a n00b makes up their mind, it's hard to talk them out of it, nevermind weather they THINK they know what they are doing, or not.

First things first. If you can't afford full insurance on both you and the bike, you can't afford the bike. period. wecking on a motorcycle is horrific. ICU? try Coma, missing arms, legs, hands, feet, fingers, missing *****, blindness, loss of bowel control, brain dead, quadrapalegic, etc... the risk is yours to take. have at her, hero.

1) What kind of price should I be looking for in mid to late Dec? I know prices will be cheaper due to end of year/new models/off season, but what numbers should I try and get it for?
For a NEW 06 600RR, anything below MSRP is acceptable. Pricing can vary from region to region, state to state, city to city. I've seen Honda Clearances on motorcycles left in stock (the one's either they couldn't sell, or nobody wanted) for below $6,000 in central Wisconsin. it may be different where you live.

2) What has everyone done with financing? The thing is, I DO NOT want to pay full coverage because I cant afford it. So liability/comprehensive is the only option. Has anyone financed through the Honda Credit card and if so how was/is that going?
again, you can't afford insurance, you can't afford the bike. I don't know of a single lender that wont require you to have full insurance on the bike w/ at least $500 deductables. Check around insurance companes. They vary just as widely as dealership pricing, but then they go into such details as Age, where you live (neighborhood), criminal record, familly records, how many claimes you had, how car's you've purchased, kind of bike, manufacture, size of engine, power of engine (HP/tq) number of cyclenders (see above)etc... I'm with Liberty Mutal and i pay less than 1000 / year on both my car and bike. next year when i hit 25, it gets cut in half. Not. Bad.

As for financing, use credit unions, and if you have a checking account at a bank or CU, go there first. if you have a long term history with a bank, they may cut you better deals on AUTO LOANS, becasue i've got my loan for 5 years 188/mo, over 10,000 loaned (two bikes). i think it's around a 7.24% APR or something to that effect. You'll get taken care of better at a CU, every time. they aren't after money nearly as much as Banks are, so stay away from them, unless they are prepaired to geive you better terms (which doesn't happen often).

i belive that gives you some depth to your decision. in short, you're about to step into the world of dbt management. I hope you've got the constitution to admit when you're over your head...

Old 10-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think as long as you're financing it, you have to carry full coverage - because it's still really the lender's bike until you are done paying off the loan.

Between the loan interest, the need to have full insurance, and the fact that these bikes depreciate in value rally quick, buying a new bike is not cheap. I realize that if your heart is set on an '06 then that's what you'll buy, but is it really worth twice as much as a low-mileage 600RR that's only a couple years old?

One good thing about 600s is that a lot of guys decide, after a couple seasons of riding, that they 'need' a liter bike, so there are plenty of good used ones around.

Anyway, have fun and ride safe.

Quick Reply: Questions on 1st bike purchase...