needin some pointers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needin some pointers

i have been riding my O5rr for a little overtwo yrsand have become very comfortable with the bike. My only concern is that my riding progress has seemed to slow. i really only ride in the city which consist of going straight and making 90 degree turns which has not gotten me a crazy amount of experience on twisties. i can go around a bend at a decent pace and get the bike over but iknow that theres a lot left to push. im not trying to get crazy but would like to be a little more comfortable when gettin after a bend in the middle ofno where having some fun.iread a lot about counterstering, chasing the turn and what not but need some opinions on how to keep progressing. does it just come with time and getting over a little more and more?my main problem is thati get intothe turn and oncei get to a certain point the bike feelsshaky, im sure its something im doin or maybe itsjust in my head. I want toknow what you guys have done to progress your riding skills

Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Default RE: needin some pointers

Start off slow in parking lots and cul-da-sacs. You'll get your major control down at slow speeds and be ale to relate that up. One thing as you gain speed, it dont get stuck on target fixation. Thats where youll have problems. Always look through what your doing. Shaking can be cause from a bunch of things, low tire pressure, crap on the road, unheated tires, etc. Theres a bunch more. Its just practive man, just try to do circles and what not. On ramps and off ramos are always fun on interstates too. Just my .04 cents.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 PM

thanks,i guess i havent really put my time in on just working on my controll and +1 on the on/off ramp, theres one a few miles away from my house that has fairly limited traffic but obviously prolly need tostay in a lot for a while. so in the parking lot do you just go around in a circle basiclly or what would be a good routine

Old 04-01-2008, 10:12 PM

go in a circle for awhile then switch directions....this also helps in getting your tires scrubbed down so it doesn't slip in twisties when you're at a faster pace. always warm up the tires though before getting down there, cuz if not they'll slip pretty bad. also go slow and try to turn left as sharp as you can without putting down your foot, they make you do that in the motorcycle test

Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: rollin_deist

thanks,i guess i havent really put my time in on just working on my controll and +1 on the on/off ramp, theres one a few miles away from my house that has fairly limited traffic but obviously prolly need tostay in a lot for a while. so in the parking lot do you just go around in a circle basiclly or what would be a good routine
Circles, going around light poles, etc. Or if its empty and square, Go straight and tun as tight as you canaround theedges making a square. Culdasacs are great for that

Old 04-01-2008, 10:21 PM

Hmmm.... I think that only riding in the city has a lot to do with that, you dont have the opportunity to get into slow transitional leans very often. This is big in the countersteering area, as well as refines your balance when you are not straight up. Its shaky and first, and is somewhat of an odd sensation but once you get used to it, its amazing.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 PM

speaking of which...**HIJACK ALERT**

D2D...wen we go riding we need 2 find sum twisties or sumwhere nice 2 ride! and ii do one day want to go 2 daytona 2 that spot HOMEBOY(dont remember his name) said in one of my posts "something loop" ?!?!?!

and dunno if well get any riding in with this damn weather...lolz SUX

found his name...CAMAROKID etc etc...

Old 04-01-2008, 10:29 PM

Whatever you try to do, your first trip through the turns... and possibly the second... needs to be a scouting mission for gravel/problems before you come back and get on it. Always remember that the pace that sends you and your bike home in one piece is a good pace. Keep it where you're comfortable with the bike. The shakiness you are talking about should make you uncomfortable and is a sign. Keep it safe.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:33 PM

+1^^

six...def feel u on that! ii was just thinkin that to myself!! another thing 2 check for are BUMPS in the road as well...