NEED HELP! Bike starts and runs, but no lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! Bike starts and runs, but no lights

I had to put my old fender back on to take my rider's exam last week and so today I was putting my FE back on. After I removed the rear cowl I turned the bike on (engine off) to check that all the lights and signals were working properly. Everything was fine. I accidentally left the key in the ON position while I was fiddling around and stuff and didn't realize I had done so until about 15-20 minutes later.

I turned the key to the OFF position, waited about an hour and then tried turning the bike back ON to check. My headlights were still working fine, but nothing on my tach or rear tail light was working. The front and rear signals work and show up on the display when I flick the switch. The brake light comes on when I use the front and/or rear brake, but there's nothing when I release them. I can start the bike fine and took it for a spin to see if it was running ok and it did, but my rev needle doesn't move, no oil pressure light, no neutral indicator, no speedometer, no odometer, no fuel indicator. However my clock still works fine. I have no idea what's going on. I didn't disconnect or cross any wires.

The bike was probably on when I disconnected my plate light to re-attach (splice) my LED plate light. These are the only wires I touched. Could this have caused a short/blown fuse? Could leaving the bike ON have drained the battery and now not everything is working because the battery is low? Is there something I may have disconnected that's causing the tach and tail light to not turn on?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEED HELP! Bike starts and runs, but no lights

Something similar happened when I was wiring my car. Sounds like a fuse, but could also be a relay or something to that degree. I'm not sure exactly what these bikes use as far as relays, fuses or possibly "fusable links". Do you need a service manual? Here's a link to download the service manual online from gofastvideo.com. It's a PDF format, so click the "watch video" button to download it.......if you need it.

http://gofastvideo.com/gallery/item/...ce-manual.html

Hope this helps.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:39 PM

Thanks, I already have the manual and have gone through it. I'm thinkin' it's a blown fuse cuz certain parts of the bike work, and others don't as I mentioned.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:38 AM

fuse

Old 09-30-2006, 04:42 AM

same thing happened to me..I had blew a fuse installing my intergrated tale lights..

Old 09-30-2006, 10:51 PM

Changed the fuse, and everything is fine in the world again. Thanks guys!