maintenance issues please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance issues please help!

hi guys i live in southern california (orange county 714 area) and wanted to know where can i get the chain lubes (SAE 80 or 90 gear oil)/cleaner (kerosene) u guys are talking about?? any cycle shops around here i can go to? when talking about chain lubes, are you guys talking about the stuff in the can that u SPRAY on the chain? or is it like an actual "gel" type lube that u apply on?

also, is it ok to use non-Honda brands for engine oils & filters? and when the manual says u should lube the cables...what are they talking about, the clutch?? how do i do that? sorry guys but i just bought my very first motorcycle and i'm just trying to get all my maintenance right so it can last long. just trying to follow the manual as closely as possible. i know u guys know ur stuffs when it comes to bikes so any help would be greatly appreciated![/align]

Old 03-15-2007, 04:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: maintenance issues please help!

hi mike...where in OC are you? i'm in lake forest.
don't worry about using gear oil...it flings off.
for lube, etc...i would hit up your local dealer or cycle gear. there's one in fullerton for the 714 and there's one in laguna hills for the 949.
just go and buy some chain cleaner (the dealer guys or cycle gear shop guys can direct you...i'd opt for cycle gear over dealer), though kerosene will work fine. as far as lube, there are many types to choose from...stock honda stuff, bel ray chain wax (i use this...great and no fling), motorex, PJ1, motul, etc. these are all spray on and end up a gooey substance, not quite gel though...harder and tackier.

just like cars, it's fine to use non-manufacturer oil and filters.
as far as lubing cables, yes your clutch cable needs to be lubed as well as the levers. i usually use white lithium grease, but any type of lube that will run down the cable will work. lubing cable is actually harder than it seems...you'll want to disconnect it, hang it up and then drip the lube down. remember, throttle cables also need lubing...and lubing them really sucks as the other end sits on top of the throttle body, under the air box, which sits under the tank. no need to remove them, just do the best you can when you do lube them.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:44 PM

Must be his first bike ever... nice choice [sm=smiley21.gif]

Tahoe is on the money.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:41 AM

thank you for you help Tahoe
i live in Fountain Valley (Next To Hungtington Beach)