Jeep Girl + Motorcycle = Something Different?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jeep Girl + Motorcycle = Something Different?

Wow, These bikes are a little different from Jeeps..lol
Is it the same thing like you hear and you know when to shift?
Because, If I keep my Jeep in first gear and push it to 30, I can hear the engine wanting to change over to another gear.
I guess im going to have to go around some bike and see for myself.

So can you keep it in first and just drive it like that?
Or does that hurt the engine?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:54 PM

You can't blow the motor up like you can in a car by revving it up. You can ride it in first till like 50 or 60 and shift to second.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 PM

So in town, I can just roll in first?

Old 11-29-2007, 07:11 PM

The best thing you could do for yourself right now is get somebody to teach you how to ride a dirt bike
if you go down on those it doesn't hurt nearly as much
I started riding about 3 months before my MSF course on a crf150 and it helped tremendously when I took the course

As for your choice of bike it's not bad for a starter but the ninja 250 would be a better choice
I say go to your local dealer that sells every brand and sit on each one, the one that feels the most comfortable is your choice
I originally wanted a 600rr but got an 06 F4i because the seat was so much more comfortable

and yeah you can roll in first through town but that should wait until you've learned proper throttle control...it's much more forgiving in 2nd than in 1st

Old 11-29-2007, 10:18 PM

awesome combo...the jeep and cbr.

its the same thing i got...and like many of you i dont look at my bank account anymore, it just scares me.

I own an 04 wrangler with a 2' lift and 32' bfg mt's. not nearly as impressive as your setup but i just had to get rid of the box on tiny wheels look.

and recently i picked up an 05 tribal black cbr 600rr...i got it at a great price, but with the weather we have in montreal, the bike is looking more like an expensive couch sitting in my loft....but that just means more time to pamper...he he he

Old 11-29-2007, 10:31 PM

ORIGINAL: JeepGirl

If you're going to roll in first around town i suggest you stay inside an empty parking lot. You should be more confident out on the road. If you're not comfortable changing gears then I personally don't think you're ready. I'm not by any means experienced enough to be giving you advice but I would never go out on the road if I was afraid of switching gears.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 PM

You could roll around town in 1st gear if you're speed limit is 30-35mph but why would you? .. If you're cruising around in 1st gear the throttle control will be VERY VERY touchy and you're gas mileage would suffer a little too. If you hit a bump, stick, or dead rodent it could put you into a sticky situation fast. If you can start the bike out in 1st without problems, shifting through the other gears will be a breeze.

I'm from a small town and try to keep the rpm's as low as possible with some reasonable pull to get myself out of trouble. (Don't want to be "that" guy) ..lol

Old 11-30-2007, 06:11 AM

ORIGINAL: JeepGirl

its like ur jeep...just cause it can do lets say 30 in first at redline ...do u really wanna redline it everytime u shift? as for me i usually shift out in town:
1st 5-10 mph
2nd 20ish mph
3rd maybe 25 maybe 40 etc...

it just depends on maybe ur goin up a hill or down one maybe i wanna hit 30 fast maybe i wanna just poke along lol

sometimes on interstate merging i pop outta 1st at like 20 pop outta 2nd at like 60 and then just upshift a couple to hit 6th at 70-75ish, but this is me im not right in the head lol. once u ride one a few times the shiftin is like a car ull just understand

Old 11-30-2007, 09:40 AM

I'm amazed at some of these posts. I'm not insulting any other rider here, as we all have our own styles and opinions, but I'd never tell a beginner some of these things. For example - don't buy $1500 worth of gear - YET. Get a good helmet, gloves, and a leather jacket. Save the rest of it until you know being on a bike is for you. I feel bad for the newcomer who spends $1500 on equipment just to find out they don't like riding much and that now all the sudden because their stuff was worn once, it's only worth about 1/2 - 2/3 of what it was a day earlier.

Also, a 600RR isn't a bad first bike in my opinion. I had a 600RR as a first, as did one of my friends and we're fine. Just take it easy, and don't get on it too hard in the corners (especially pulling out of driveways and parking lots at low speeds) until you've been in this a while and know what you're feeling.

On the shifting and gears bit, I usually cruise around town in 2nd or 3rd, unless it's stop and go traffic at a crawl, then some clutching in 1st comes into play. I do agree with spiderc, don't even think about getting on a public road if you don't want to change gears, these bikes are made to run in the high RPMs, but it's more comfortable and easier to deal with in 2nd or 3rd. It's not as touchy and it's quieter. Even if you have the stock exhaust on your bike, the engine noise can be very loud if you run around town at high RPM.

Taking a class is definitely a good idea. I didn't, but I had dirtbike experience from the time I was a little kid, so I had a basic knowledge of bikes. Street bikes are totally different, but the concepts are essentially the same.

That's about all I can think of for now, but feel free to PM or email me [joet7287@yahoo.com] if you have any further questions. And I know what they say about "no stupid questions", but if you feel slightly embarrassed about asking something that you think might be general knowledge, that's another good reason to PM a question.

Welcome, ride safe, and most of all, enjoy your future bike.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM

Wow Burns Your Jeeps sounds nice! Let me know if you need anything! I recomend you check out Rustysoffroad.com or UltimateJeepStore.com , Tell them Andree' From La Jeepers sent you!
Those are not bad tires, I know a few people who run them and swear up and down by them. As far as the bank account issue.. Yeah.. I know how you feel. I dont look, I like the suprise of knowing I have3 extra dollars on top of the nothing I have, Its like finding $5 in your pocket. haha My pockets are going to reallly empty when I get my bike, I saw so many things I want to add on and change. : ( So much for money. lol

Bwayers- that is not a bad idea. I think I might try that! I learned something this weekend and begining of this week. I have bad habbit I have to break before I can even think about getting the bike. I like to look and see whats going on while im driving.
I get distracted easy. I read that is the first thing you ahve got to break. So im going to be working on that now. That and not riding when you are sick. I heard that is a bad combo. Which drivng my Jeep when im sick doesnt work, so im sure it would be worse on a bike.

Joet7287- That is good advice. I plan to go out somewhere to go learn, we have this are by the college here that is a huge open parking lot, so I plan to go mess around there for a while. I am learning so much in here. I love this forum. I feel like I am more prepared for what I am getting into. Oh, and the class, ITS A MUST!! lol I want that under my belt for sure! I want to know more and actually get to learn different things that people do. So that way, if something ever happens, I can have more of an idea of how to handle the bike and how to handle the situation. Ill get in touch with you if I have anyother questions.
I just want to have a heads up, and be ready. I want to be sure I do all of my homework before I go.
: )

Quick Reply: Jeep Girl + Motorcycle = Something Different?