Ignition problems and some photos :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Ignition problems and some photos :)

Hey everyone,

you may remember last year I came off my 07 RR the day before a went to new zealand for 6 months.. since being back home I have made my bike road legal until I can afford to re-build her and i've slowly been buying new bits each month and finding good deals. For example I went to Honda and asked how much a new (original) 07 cbr RR clock would be and they would have charged me just over £700 however I managed to find one on good old eBay for £150 which is in perfect condition. The only parts I need now are the front sub-frame and a new front fairing. oh and a right indicator which shouldnt be too hard to find.

Anyways the other day I'd just been to visit a family member in hospital and when I came out and got on my bike the key wouldnt turn in the ignition... it took me 20 minutes of playing around to finally get the key to turn and I went straight home. When I got back I naturally turned the bike off and put the steering lock on, and now I cant seem to get the key to turn again... It's almost as if the steering lock is stopping the key from turning but no matter how much I wiggle the bars the ignition just doesnt want to turn. At first I thought maybe someone had tried stealing the bike with a skrew-driver but there doesnt seem to be any any damage to the outside of the ignition. I'm thinking now that maybe the H.I.S.S system isnt recognising my key for some reason. could this be the case?

Any help would be fantastic. I've added a few pics of my bike after the crash and a couple of pics of the temporary streetfighter look, until I have all the new parts.

Attached Thumbnails Ignition problems and some photos :)-dsc00572.jpg   Ignition problems and some photos :)-dsc01506.jpg   Ignition problems and some photos :)-dsc01511.jpg  
Old 12-28-2009, 11:08 PM

double post...

nice bike lock though. how much was that?

Old 12-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Default hmmm

Could an electrical fault stop me from being able to turn the key in the ignition? maybe a loose wire somewhere or a fuse for the H.I.S.S system? ANY help at all would be great thanks

Old 12-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I think it's gods way of telling you to get a new front tyre before you try riding it again. If that's the same one you crashed with you're asking for trouble going any further on it.
As far as the key problem, call your Honda dealer. They should be able to give you some advice about key programming issues. If that's what it turns out to be then they're the only ones who are going to be able to sort you out I'm afraid. Chipped keys are just another part of the modern day manufacturer/dealership rip offs we have to buy in to.
Good luck with it. Hope you can save the necessary shekels to restore the old girl to her rightful glory. I also hope you aren't suffering any long term scars from the fall.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:33 PM

pretty sure the key should turn regarless of chip'd key or not. if it's not that sounds more like a mechanical (tumbler/key) issue than electrical

spray some lube on the key and give it a try - sounds dumb i know but i've seen it work so many times

Old 01-16-2010, 01:16 AM

P8 is on the right track. I've seen this before working at a dealership. What probably happened is someone tried to break your steering lock. What the ****ole does is grab your handlebar and yank it strait so they can wheel it into a truck or trailer. It works sometimes, but when it doesn't they leave you with a bent ignition stop shaft. This HAS TO retract when you rotate your key to turn the motorcycle on. If it's bent slightly...it will be hard to turn the key. You can take the whole assy off and try a cut the post clean off, or buy a new ignition....