General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Ignition Problems. Somebody Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Ignition Problems. Somebody Help!

Ok so i have a 1988 600 hurricane. It was running fine for a while then all of a sudden just stopped firing. I figured it was either a spark plug wire problem or a coil went bad...Well tonight i tested all 4 wires and they are all getting spark, Which i assume means the coils are fine. I plugged the wires back in and double checked the order like 10 times (Basically coil number 1 from left to right is running 1 and 4 And coil number 2 from left to right is running 2 and 3) I put the tank back on and tried starting it..Nothing, Just turning over. Then i spayed card/choke cleaner in the carbs and tried and still am getting nothing. From anyone with experience with this problem plzzz give me some advice as of what steps to take now..Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the sounds of it, you don't have an ignition problem, something else is going on. My first thought would be a fuel problem.

Spraying carb cleaner in the carbs will probably not be enough to get the bike fire, or even sputter. Having said that, its still possible the plugs are bad. If the spark is a weak, orange spark, they not be firing under compression, but still fire in the open.

You may to dig a bit deeper on your own to find the issue. Whether the fuel pump stopped working, your petcock on the tank is malfunctioning, or you are in fact getting gas, and your plugs are just too weak to ignite the fuel.

Can you smell gas at all?
Are the sparkplugs wet?

Also, make sure your battery is fully charged while your trying to start the bike. If the bike does not crank over fast enough, it won't start.