F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ignition Problems

SO I recently purchased a 1991 CBR 600 F2. It ran great (although it can be hard to start). Then I decided to strip it down and paint the frame. After putting it all back together, it will not start now. When I say it will not start, I mean that when I push the button there is absolutely no sound. No starter clicking or anything.

The weird part is that when I touch the right wire to the left wire that connects from the positive battery to the fuse box, it starts the ignition process. WTF?? PLease help.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonesc962
The weird part is that when I touch the right wire to the left wire that connects from the positive battery to the fuse box, it starts the ignition process. WTF?? PLease help.
Ok, when you say connect the left wire to the right, what exactly do you mean? If its possible, pics will help alot. The positive from the battery should go straight to a main fuse, 30 amp. and a starter relay. it should be right under the seat. Check to make sure that fuse is good. Also check the fuses in the small fuse box up front. I know you probably already did this, however since I dont know exactly what you have or have not done, Ill start at the beginning and try to help you figure it out. Dont take offense to blatantly obvious suggestions, as thats not my intent. I just know from my experience, its usually something small I overlooked in my aggravation.....

Old 10-07-2013, 11:06 AM

Dude, thank you so much for your help! I will not take any offense whatsoever, I'm a noob and the slower the better. So first off, when I say I connected the wires, I just mean I touched the positive from the battery to the negative connected to the fuse. Second , yep, I checked both fuses and they look good.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Welcome Crew

Ok, I think I know where your talking about now. I had to run out to my bike right quick.

Not sure if its too clear or not, but the two red arrows mark the connections I believe you are talking about. The one on the left is the constant primary hot from the battery positive. The one on the right is the positive to the starter. Thats actually the starter relay. The power comes from the battery and goes into the relay hitting the main fuse. From there youll see the connector, those are the primary feeds for all the other electrical. What happened to my bike is I had power everywhere but no starter. The relay can burn out, mine happened after I burnt the main fuse due to my negligence.
If, when you jump power from the battery to your main starter feed, it turns over, you know your starter is good.
Do you have a test light handy? If so, you can carefully back probe the starter button wire to see if that switch is working. On my bike, its the yellow wire with red stripe going into the connector. Connect to the battery negative, back probe the wire and push the start button. Obviously make sure everything else is on. If it lights up, then thats a pretty good indication the relay is bad. If not, then your on a chase for a short somewhere between the button and relay or power going to the button.
If it is a relay, you may be able to tap the side of the relay with the handle of a screwdriver while pushing the button, kinda like rapping a car starter with a hammer.
Hope I helped a lil instead of confused. Let me know if theres anything else I can help with.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 PM

So what it looks like to me, is that I just have no power going to the front of the bike. I plugged in the dash (speedo, tach) and no lights came on.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by gtcole
Ok, I think I know where your talking about now. I had to run out to my bike right quick.

Not sure if its too clear or not, but the two red arrows mark the connections I believe you are talking about. The one on the left is the constant primary hot from the battery positive. The one on the right is the positive to the starter. Thats actually the starter relay. The power comes from the battery and goes into the relay hitting the main fuse. From there youll see the connector, those are the primary feeds for all the other electrical. What happened to my bike is I had power everywhere but no starter. The relay can burn out, mine happened after I burnt the main fuse due to my negligence.
If, when you jump power from the battery to your main starter feed, it turns over, you know your starter is good.
Do you have a test light handy? If so, you can carefully back probe the starter button wire to see if that switch is working. On my bike, its the yellow wire with red stripe going into the connector. Connect to the battery negative, back probe the wire and push the start button. Obviously make sure everything else is on. If it lights up, then thats a pretty good indication the relay is bad. If not, then your on a chase for a short somewhere between the button and relay or power going to the button.
If it is a relay, you may be able to tap the side of the relay with the handle of a screwdriver while pushing the button, kinda like rapping a car starter with a hammer.
Hope I helped a lil instead of confused. Let me know if theres anything else I can help with.

I can't thank you enough my friend! My bike is up and running again!!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:18 AM
Welcome Crew

anytime, glad I could help. Now get her running and get some pics up

Old 10-08-2013, 07:43 AM

Right on brother. My next daunting task is to make a speedo conversion. I'm going to put in a digital speedo in my 1991 CBR 600 f2 that I'm making a streetfighter out of. Should be interesting. Be prepared for a new thread coming soon. lol

Old 10-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Word... pics time!! (chanting) Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics!

So, just out of curiosity, what did you find? A short? Corroded connectors at a switch/junction?

Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 AM

Just a short. Real freakin annoying. But I got that punk. Alright, so here are some quick picks. It's still a work in progress. I bought this guy like this.

00808_lmzSGMGRw6I_600x450_zps1dc3eb0f.jpg Photo by jonesc901090m | Photobucket

00v0v_6yF2LYJPqo0_600x450_zps5cb471b8.jpg Photo by jonesc901090m | Photobucket

and here is where I'm at now.

photo2-1_zpsb6892673.jpg Photo by jonesc901090m | Photobucket

photo3-1_zpscd160da9.jpg Photo by jonesc901090m | Photobucket

photo2_zps0655a365.jpg Photo by jonesc901090m | Photobucket

Don't ask about that yellow rim. IDk what thats about.

So my next plans are to repair and paint the tank. Paint the rims. Add the digital speedo, hide the wiring harness, and then hopefully do a tail conversion.

Quick Reply: Ignition Problems