how to: slow to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how to: slow to a stop

i have an idea of what "blip" is from the way it sounds, but this is the first time i've heard of it. is there anything more to it besides rev'ing to match speed/gear? ie, are you breaking while doing this?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:27 PM
EA

ORIGINAL: F4Boy

I usually downshift while braking, but NEVER go into 1st gear. Once the revs get down to about 1500-2000 in 2nd I pull in the clutch, click into neutral and brake to a stop.
This is exactly what they tell you NOT TO DO in the MSF coarse. I don't advise doing what F4Boy says because if you click to neutral at your stop and don't remain in gear you could be rear ended. I don't mean any offense to F4Boy but I definitely would not ride this way. Motorcycles can stop much quicker than cars and as a result someone may not always see you slowing or be ready to slow down as quickly as you. Cagers have a history of tail gating motorcycles and this will most likely remain this way. So my advice is to find a style that you are comfortable with wether it be downshifting without brakes for appropriate gear/speed until you need to use the brakes, or pulling the clutch in and braking the whole time while downshifting/slowing. But just remember that remaining in gear when just about to be stopped or stopped at an intersection is good practice and could save your *** from that pummeling piece of metal behind you.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:00 PM

its moment by moment basis. there is no right way to stop. as long and you come to a complete stop without ending up on the floor can be classified as a good stop.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 AM

Yes ... "Blipping" is a term used for matching the engine speed to the next gear's speed. After the clutch is out I will use start to use my front brake more predominantly. Occasionally, I do find myself easing on the rear brake whilethe clutch is inand blipping the throttle but i'm right off the brake while the clutch is engaging into the lower gear, once engaged i'm on the front brake.

Like alekinci said: its on a moment by moment basis. What kind of mood i'm in, bored ...etc. but thats how I find myself braking the majority of the time.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:54 AM

For me, my usual procedure is to put pressure on the rear brake and front brake at the same time, and I control the actual rate of stop with that unbelievable front brake system the 600RR has. As I slow down, I depress the clutch, downshift, and let out the clutch only to the point where it starts to drag and assist in slowing the bike. By that time, I am usually ready to hit the clutch again and drop into the next lowest gear. I do this until I am almost stopped, and then I drop it into first. When I am stopped at a light, I leave it in first, clutch depressed, until the light goes green. And also, when I come to a stop, I put only my right foot down on the ground as the bike stops, never as it is moving. I leave my left foot on the peg with my toe near the shifter, just in case!!

Dave

Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: EA

ORIGINAL: F4Boy

I usually downshift while braking, but NEVER go into 1st gear. Once the revs get down to about 1500-2000 in 2nd I pull in the clutch, click into neutral and brake to a stop.
This is exactly what they tell you NOT TO DO in the MSF coarse. I don't advise doing what F4Boy says because if you click to neutral at your stop and don't remain in gear you could be rear ended. I don't mean any offense to F4Boy but I definitely would not ride this way. Motorcycles can stop much quicker than cars and as a result someone may not always see you slowing or be ready to slow down as quickly as you. Cagers have a history of tail gating motorcycles and this will most likely remain this way. So my advice is to find a style that you are comfortable with wether it be downshifting without brakes for appropriate gear/speed until you need to use the brakes, or pulling the clutch in and braking the whole time while downshifting/slowing. But just remember that remaining in gear when just about to be stopped or stopped at an intersection is good practice and could save your *** from that pummeling piece of metal behind you.
No offense taken. The question posed was how to slow to a stop, and that's exactly how I slow to a stop. Once stopped I always click into 1st and look at the mirrors unless someone is already stopped behind me, but I still pay attention. Have to with all the morons out there that could care less about us while they're talking on the phone, eating, or putting on makeup! [:@]

Old 11-14-2007, 08:50 PM

in case you guys are interested, i found a similar thread on this topic under the "racing and recreation" section, here's the link:

https://cbrforum.com/m_375765/tm.htm

thanks for the info about bliping. but a thought just occurred to me, if you blip doesn't that reduce the effectiveness of the engine break? i do blipwhen i shift up, ie release gas, engage clutch, shift up, gas (blip?), then engage clutch. but when you downshift isn't it the act of releasing the clutch in the lower gear that slows the bike down? if you blip and go into the gear you won't get much slowing power, isn't it? it'll bea smooth transition to the lower gear without hardly any deceleration, isn't it? i ride my bike the same way i leared to ride a manual car, i used to engine brake all the time while braking w/o the gas.

when stopping or slowing for a turni used to: engage clutch,down shift from 6 to 4, release clutch slowly so the engine slows (2 or 3 secs), once fully released, engage clutch again, down shift from 4 to 2 or 3 depending on speed i want to be in during turn, then slowly release clutch. all this while front braking, then when i get to the turn release brake and gas (i'm already engaged in 2nd by this time).

i think that was a descent system but there was about 2 or 3 times in the past 3 yrs that my rear tire started fishtailing. i was told it's probably because i was front braking while engaging a lower gear which is equivalent to gassing and front braking at the same time which causes fishtailing. but it sounds like you guys are all doing that too, with the addition of blipping. hmm...

thanks, sorry if i'm totally lost or missing the point. i'm a recoving pothead, so i'm a little slow sometimes. anyway, i want to learn good habits for braking/slowing esp for the future.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM

When I am stopped at a light, I leave it in first, clutch depressed, until the light goes green. And also, when I come to a stop, I put only my right foot down on the ground as the bike stops, never as it is moving. I leave my left foot on the peg with my toe near the shifter, just in case!!
Just in case of what?

You're already in first aren't you?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 PM

ok, i should've read this first from the other thread:

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/RSS/146_0402_shift_blip_throttle/index.html

great article on "blipping". so you can do it either way, blipping, or gradually releasing the clutch after downshiffting (the way i did it originally). sounds like blippig is just for when your slowing down from high rpms. i'm usu only at about 50-60mph on 6th when i slow down, so i don't need to be in that high of an rpm when i downshift.... but i think i'll practice blipping and see how that feels.

thanks fellas for the input.