Heavy Rider on 07'; Respringing question! NEWB needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy Rider on 07'; Respringing question! NEWB needs help!

Hi, Everyone

I've been riding for only a couple weeks now after passing my saftey course. I got a great deal on an excellent conditioned stock 07 CBR600RR. I had it inspected and checked out by a honda mechanic before riding.
Anyways in my reading on setting sag, preloading ect...I found and have been following the info on the net by, Dave Moss. I am about to take my measurements, but today I found this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTJaZasKH68

Here he sets SAG on an actual stock 08CBR, with 3 different weighted riders. I am about 250lb. In the video he mentioned to respring the rear for the rider witch was 240. So with this said. I can only assume that I will need todo the same. Any one have an idea on the costs for this? Any info to read into choosing springs/how too's? Anything I should know before talking to the mechanic/buying from them. ANY heavy riders out there in this weight range have to change the rear springs? or front for that matter?

After I picked my bike up from inspection and service, I asked the my local Honda place about setting the SAG. They explained that "the suspension on these bikes are very forgiving", I was basically trying to give them more money to do it for me, but felt denied or that they really didn't know what they were doing. I know in my readings setting sag, and preload is important and can be a safety issue if not correct, so I may end up going to a different mechanic after hearing this from them. Oddly enouph the local KAWI dealer, new all about it and has no problem setting it for me.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!
Chris

Old 07-25-2010, 05:56 PM

im not as heavy as you but the suspension on my f4i was all off when i did my trackday and had it done by a guy there during lunch, afterwords much quicker turn in an more confident at lean...

however on the street all i feel is that the rear jumps around more on potholes, it was much better being softer, even with my gf on the back during spirited rides, so what im getting at is im sure the stock spring will be fine for the street, but i would still get it set to your weight an for your type of riding (street)

Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 PM

Thanks alot, I do want to eventually attend a track day, but not until next season most likely. I want to practice my basic riding skills a bit more, and I can't afford the mods needed for my bike right now. So in the mean time I will only be riding to work,gym and joy riding on the street.

I read somewhere that the Spring Tension on the 07 CBR600rr is 1.0 is this correct?

Once I do go to a track, will changing springs alone be enouph? or should I start saving for the whole shock kit. Any suggestions on springs, were to get them ect?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:03 PM

there was a link on here some where on how to set your suspension according to weight height and year model bike. try and search for it

Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 PM

Ok everyone,

So I went ahead and got my SAG measurements. In the rear I'm comeing up with 50mm with all my gear and backpack on. When I looked at my rear shock preload it was set at Number 2, which I believe is the next to the softest setting. Do you believe bumping it up 5 notches or even all the way up to #10 perhaps, would get me to were I need to be? Other than changing preload... raising it up to the 10th notch would raise the seat correct? How does this change in height effect the handling?

Also, The shock/spanner wrench I bought from motorcyclesuper store was way to thick to fit into the spring adjuster notches. I tried grinding the spanner tip down to fit, and got it to move up a notch but it became a big pain afterwards with the poor fit. Can anyone suggest a place to buy a spanner wrench specifically to fit a 07' CBR600rr?

I want to try adjusting my self to see if I can get the SAG to atleast 35 in the rear before I bring it to a shop to have do it. If I can skip this step if it turns out I'll need a respring, it'll save me.

Just as a reminder, right now I'm only riding on the street, commuting and for joyrides. I'm loosing weight, and have been hitting the gym hardcore. This morning I weighed in at 245lb. I know I can buy a whole new racing/street shock for about a grand, but I am planning to save and do it over the winter. My next option would be a respring if adjustments don't work out.

Please advise.

Chris

Last edited by cswann821; 07-29-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 PM

Thanks Everyone.

I Took a 30 mile drive to a reputable bike store. The Honda cert dealer near me, is small and seems ignorant when I ask questions. So I drove to another county. Anyways, I picked up an adjustable Spanner tool and was able, but with much pain, to adjust the preload to setting 7 or 8. This was much harder than were it was...at setting 2. I remeasured the sag and got it down from the original 50mm to 40mm. Now I still have a couple issues.
1) Today I tried to adjust the preload to the highest setting- #10. But it has become a huge ordeal to turn the notches with this spanner. Tomorrow I will try to clean the shock/notch area as suggested and try again. My hands are brused and scratched working in such a small area! The tool gets tight but slips now...I'm hoping the shock is just dirty and that I havent striped the notch.
2) I am not sure moving it from position 7-to 10, will give me the 5-10mm I need to make the 30-35mm requirement? What do you think?. With as much trouble the shock is giving me I am seriously thinking of changing the whole shock to a more Easily adjustable shock! What do you think?
3) Since this bike was bought used and the rear I noticed was set very soft, I went to set my rebound and compressions back to factory settings. When setting the rear shock rebound, my manual said to turn the screw clockwise until it stops and then about 2 1/2 turns counterclockwise. Well .... I kept turning it clockwise, and became a little hard to turn..but it never stops! <--this worries me. I went ahead and tried my best to adjust to have good rear rebound .
4) If I can get the preload adjuster to move again.... Are there any adverse effects of having a shocks preload...maxed out? Obviously if I remember reading correctly I should have the shock at least resprung If I need to move it more than 5 or so notches from factory setting, but with it being such a pain (the shock itself)...is why I might just by something worth it.

5)So If I decide to replace the shock, I suppose I should just save for one by Ohlins from HARD RACING. Am I right to belive that I will most likely have to respring my front forks at least as well? Can Anyone suggest something other than Ohlins that would suit my needs as a begginer which may eventually ride a track day, Easily adjustable, and cheaper than OHLINS but quality? I'm not looking for bling, nor care to pay for it. Ohlin seems to always come up, is the only reason why I mention it. I also saw that hard racing well set it up for my weight as well.

Im going to spend the next couple weeks, reading and researching on how to take my rear tire off, place back on and chain adjustments. I feel I should know how todo this myself as well. Doing this would allow me to install a new rear shock myself and SAVE big time!
With all the SAG reading , and comments from you guys, I'm worried about riding the bike..even with the now 40mm sag. I know I can't correctly set the front, until I get the rear correct.
I'll hit the search function hard, but if anyone knows of some DIY help I should look at, or can suggest shock setups. IT would be appreciated.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you trying to adjust the shock with weight on the swingarm? That'll make it much harder. It'll move easier if you have someone helping you by lifting the rear by the subframe. Or if you have a motorcycle lift that doesn't use the swimgarm to take weight off the rear.