F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Newb Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb Question

Warning Newb Question Following
if you dont like newbs than stop reading

all that said, here is my question. So i just got my bike, and i havent been able to register for the msf yet, but i will take it. in the mean time i have been riding a little nd the back roads around my house. My question is about cornering. I was talking to my buddy who has been riding for a long time about cornering. I was sayin that it feels alot more solid if i brake coming up to the corner, and then accelerate through it. It feels alot more stable, like i c an lay the bike down further. He said that that is a bad thing. He said that if you are accelerating through the corner your rear tire has a better chance of spining out (which does make sense). He said if you watch races they gas it all the way to the corner, and then coast through it. Like i said, what he is saying makes sense, but it feels alot more comfortable when i accelerate through the corner. i cant exactly trust evertyhing this guy says, cause he is kinda full of **** alot of the time. so whats the real answer? thanks man

Old 04-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newb Question

based on your buddy's comment, your buddy has been riding bicycles for a long time. only on bicycles do you coast through a corner so the pedals don't hit.

on a motorcycle, you do all your braking before you enter the corner. then you turn and when the bike is all done turning and you're ready to go straight, you throttle out.

this is why the MSF course is important, as they cover this...brake, enter turn, turn to apex, throttle out.

you are correct...when you throttle the bike does feel more stable because you're transferring weight to the rear wheel. your buddy is correct in that gravel can jack you up like that. but you don't coast through a turn unless you have to.

but do NOT brake, then throttle while entering, turning and exiting turn.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Banned

There is a book to read. Someone will post the name of it.

I like to do all my braking in a straight line. Whether it is a car or a bike.

It may not be the fastest way around a turn, but it seems safest to a novice rider (like me). Accelerating through a turn keep the weight towards the rear or even center of the bike to allow both tires to work on keeping you from crashing. Slowing in a corner if done too extremely can lead to over stressing the front tire or simply falling over. I believe that for a noob (like us) it is so much more stable to accelerate gently through a turn.

Don't ride like a racer, you aren't that good (no offense), plus they ride on the verge of losing traction or wheelies or wheel spinning99% of the time. A racer virtually never coasts. They accelerate or brake constantly.

What are you riding that you worrry about spinning the rear tire coming out of a turn? How many road miles do you have?

Old 04-24-2007, 12:41 PM

stop taking advice from your friend. He/she doesn't know what he's/she's talking about.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:05 PM

OK First things first. Optimal corner taking would be slow down to the point where you are entering the curve you are still on the throttle maintaining speed, once you hit the apex you can open the throttle up and accelerate out of it. Find you a safe secluded curve and go through it over and over experimenting with the speeds.

To brake your rear tire loose you really need to be on it hard OR have cold tires. If its a warm day and you ahave been riding some your tires should hold the road. Also you could shift up one so that when you do get on the throttle you dont have all the torque.

Just ideas

Old 04-24-2007, 02:13 PM

Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist I and II.

Read them, apply them, and stop listening to that other "them."

Figure out what stops the chassis from becoming usettling and you've figured it out. The magic word(s) are you.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM

Welcome newb.
Racers do brake hard coming to most corners. They thengenerally drop in late to minimize cornering adjustments or multiple apexes.
You will need to feed on a little throttle while in the corner to keep from slowing becouse when
your leaned over, you're on a smaller tire radius. You'll need slight throttle just to stay even.
The most important skill when riding turns is THROTTLE CONTROL and SMOOTHNESS.
Happy trails.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:25 PM

im not even gonna read the other posts because im sure tahoe and fish already battered your squidly friend what a dumbass he is, apexing a turn? huh whats that, powering out of a corner? ohhh is that why rossi and haydens front wheels come off the ground in turns, kick him in the teeth and never ever ask him for advice again[sm=icon_beat.gif]

Old 04-24-2007, 05:26 PM

and this site is noob friendly, anti squid, you are welcome, your friend well leave him at home

Old 04-24-2007, 06:10 PM

i think the reason hayden and rossi's wheels come off the ground is b/c they have over 200 horsepower compared to the relative 95 (aprox.) that our f4i's have stock. lol. just being a smart *** jz.

Quick Reply: Newb Question