Had a spill on the bike...?'s on some parts I need

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a spill on the bike...?'s on some parts I need

So, this past Saturday, I was driving down a curvy highway and approached a very sharp, left turn. As I was approaching it, I was slowing down of course and I continued to brake as I went into the turn. I hit the rear brake a bit too hard, causing my back end to swivel back-and-forth so I let off the brake before trying to slow down again. By then it was too late and I was in grass; bike slid out from under me. Now that my bike that I just fixed up and was about to sell is all torn up, I have ordered new fairings and I am about to send the funds for a upper stay bracket and headlight assembly (both used and OEM parts). I'll also need new mirrors, windshield, taillight, maybe newly upholstered seats, exhaust, and a right side handle bar. I was going to buy a right OEM handlebar but it was sold today on eBay. Now, I think I'll buy a pair of new ones that are aftermarket. My question is, 1) is there a brand I should go with or stay away from and is there a material I should get or stay away from? 2) Is there anything else behind the nose fairing that I may need to replace besides the stay bracket and headlight assembly?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for your help. It's been almost a year since I last posted and I had a 2004 F4i then. This is an '05 600RR.

Had a spill on the bike...?'s on some parts I need-new-paint.jpg
Had a spill on the bike...?'s on some parts I need-wreck4.jpg
Had a spill on the bike...?'s on some parts I need-wreck1.jpg
Had a spill on the bike...?'s on some parts I need-wreck2.jpg
Had a spill on the bike...?'s on some parts I need-wreck3.jpg

Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Sorry the pics turned out so small..

Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope you came out better than your bike.

OEM parts are the way to go especially if you plan on selling the bike. Looks like the bike took a pretty hard hit. I would be surprised if the rear subframe is not bent. Stripping the bike down and checking everything is the only way to determine the extent of the damage. I would check the triple clamps and forks to make sure they are straight. If they appear good you need to at least get the bike up on stands and loosen the upper/lower triple clamp bolts and re-torque them to release any tension the accident may have put on the forks.

Use www dot zoomthelist dot com to search craiglist nationwide to find cheap parts not listed on ebay.

Also for future reference NEVER use the rear brake at speed especially in corners. Using the rear brake is the main cause of most motorcycle accidents and really does not help slow the bike. If you were hard on the front brakes then the rear tire has very little weight on it so even light use of the rear brake can cause you to lose control of the bike.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 PM

I did come out much better than the bike. Thank you a lot for that useful post. I'll keep that all in mind.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with Vortex or Woodcraft clip ons. There are bunch of random clips and hardware behind the nose fairings, but those are the main pieces. I hope you have a speedy recovery. If you need any help looking for parts, let me know, I might be able to help.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Thank you, Raylee. I saw some Woodcraft and Vortex's on ebay starting around 139.99. Let me know if you can find a better deal than that. I wanted to keep it around the $50-$90 range but most of that consists of parts from China and I got worried if the quality was good.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 PM

Also, I see that most of them say "48mm" in the title. 1) What is that size? 2) What do I need?

Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 PM

Is it worth the extra price?

Attached Thumbnails Had a spill on the bike...?'s on some parts I need-screen-shot-2013-04-25-9.23.48-pm.jpg