Front wheel on backwards/damage question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel on backwards/damage question

I bought a new tire and had it installed by a dealer. A while after, the balance weights came off, necessatating a re balance. I returned to the dealer for the re balance. When I got the bike back, it seemed like the front brakes were dragging slightly, and the bike was slightly hard to roll around during parking, etc. Again, this was something subtle, but def. not quite the same as before I had the re balance done. Upon inspection, I have noticed the arrow on the sidewall of the tire is no longer pointing in the correct direction of the wheel's forward rotation. The area of the wheel hub, on the left side, where I'm assuming the wheel bearing is, there is evidence of grease leaking out. While I haven't lifted the front of the bike yet, I suspect the wheel is in a slight bind. Seems like the wheel might not be centered perfectly between the forks, and I'm guessing the rotors have an offset that isn't exactly equal form one side to the other, which can affect caliper/rotor relationship(?) if the wheel is turned around(?) Has anyone ever seen this before? Can it damage anything? The bike seems to
wander a bit on the highway, in a subtle way as well, like maybe the wheels are now out of line with each other front to rear? I've never had the front wheel off myself, only the rear, so I'm not familiar with it. Not sure if it's even possible to install the front wheel backwards
but it sure looks like it is possible/likely. Thanks in advance for any replies guys.
The dealer is supposed to recheck things, but I'm a little nervous, and really don't want to ride the thing back there, for safety reasons, as well as ruining any other associated parts.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Is the wheel on backwards or just the tire? The rim might have an arrow on it as well. The spacers do matter right and left. I wouldn't ride it like that. I had it happen to me once and it was scary dangerous. Now I do my own tires....

Old 08-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Yes it is very possible for the wheel to be on backwards. Sounds like they didn't center the front wheel by using the brakes either. If you have a set of stands you can do it yourself in about ten minutes. Pull the front heel and when you put it back on the right way, compress the pistons in your calipers and then spin the front wheel and pump the brakes until it stops while the axle is still loose. Should solve your problem

Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 PM

Appreciate the heads up guys. Far as I can tell, the wheel AND tire were reinstalled incorrectly after a rebalance. There shouldnt have been a reason to dismount the tire.
The re balance was necessary only because the old weights flew off. The thing that concerns me is
whether anything got bent/tweaked when everything was tightened down. Both front
rotors were noticeably warm after riding the bike, warmer than the rear rotor. Not untouchable
hot, but good and warm after only light useage. Definately gonna have the dealer recheck
and will verify myself when they are finished that it's correct now that I have a better understanding.