Flooded Engine Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooded Engine Problem!

I flooded my engine, finally got it started. Now my bike sounds funny. After replacing the spark plug and oil change is there anything else you guys/gals recommend I should do?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasnt aware that you could flood FI so im not help. What has changed in the sound?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM

click/rattle sound. I researched that I might have to replacing my CCT but it was working before my battery died, then I flooded my engine. BTW I have a 2005 CBR 600rr. The bike has less than 1500 miles on it. Was running perfectly before winter. I just purchased a new battery and will be installing it this weekend. I will be dropping it by a shop to change my oil and spark plugs, If they find something that would fix it that would be great. But I rather tell them what to look for in case they are incompetent. I am new to bikes, so I rather not get screwed. Thanks guys, these dumb mistakes will stop happening to be once I am further educated on bikes.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:06 PM

I had the same thing happen to my dad's bike, dont know how you flooded it when its fuel injected but w/e. Taking it in and getting a tech answer is probably best, but what we did was pull the plugs and burned off the excess fuel, pulled the fuel filter and made sure it wasnt plugged and replaced the plug wires! was pretty simple as long as you know a little bit about what you're looking at. Good luck man!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM

PLEASE DONT TAKE IT TO THE STEALERSHIP!!! TRY IT YOURSELF MAN!!!!

To change your oil is easy and there are a million how to videos for it.

To change your spark plugs is also very easy and this will be able to tell you if your engine is flooded. The only way i think it would flood though was if your fuel pump was staying on and you weren't getting enough spark to start it.

Take your plugs out and replace them yourself. Trust me. Your looking at like 60 bucks to do this yourself versus a few hundred to have the dealership do it and they will also find some unnecessary stuff to fix as well im sure.

Before you stored it did you add fuel stabilizer for the winter? If not your fuel probably gummed the injectors up.

There are plenty of people here who will walk you through on doing it yourself so please try. Unless of course you have money to burn which in that case ill pm you my paypal .

Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 PM

lol. Maybe I will just do it myself. I flooded it because the battery died and I tried to start it over 10 times. I did not put fuel stabilizer in it, but it had barely any fuel left to begin with. What swing arm lift would you guys recommend I buy that is fairly universal? This way me any my friend can buy one that works for his r6 as well as my cbr. Does the tool kit that comes with the bike have the tools I need to remove the spark plugs?

Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by ImporT_ProphetZ
lol. Maybe I will just do it myself. I flooded it because the battery died and I tried to start it over 10 times. I did not put fuel stabilizer in it, but it had barely any fuel left to begin with. What swing arm lift would you guys recommend I buy that is fairly universal? This way me any my friend can buy one that works for his r6 as well as my cbr. Does the tool kit that comes with the bike have the tools I need to remove the spark plugs?
Harbor freight has one that is a swingarm lift. Only like 40 bucks also.

And it cant be flooded if the battery was dead because it wouldnt be able to prime.

But high five on doing it yourself. Youll feel good about it and save yourself some good money.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 PM

I tried to start it on a weak battery and then attempted to jump it with a running car. Then I attempted to jump on my friends weak battery. Then I charged my ruined battery up and attempted to start it again. All this lead to failure on my half.