Carbon Fiber Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Helmets

Hey Im new to this site, I ride an 03 cbr600rr. Ive been riding for a while now and every time I go to the parts store I look at the HJC carbon fiber helmets. Right now I have an HJC AC-12 matte black helmet. The HJC carbon fiber is also an AC-12 but Im not sure I trust it. I dont see one thin sheet of carbon fiber being as strong as regular helmets. I was wondering if anyone knows how the carbon fiber helmets stack up strength wise against regular helmets. I just want to make sure they are safe before I spend $400 to put my head in something thats not gonna protect me.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Helmets

ORIGINAL: 2wheelsRbetter

Hey Im new to this site, I ride an 03 cbr600rr. Ive been riding for a while now and every time I go to the parts store I look at the HJC carbon fiber helmets. Right now I have an HJC AC-12 matte black helmet. The HJC carbon fiber is also an AC-12 but Im not sure I trust it. I dont see one thin sheet of carbon fiber being as strong as regular helmets. I was wondering if anyone knows how the carbon fiber helmets stack up strength wise against regular helmets. I just want to make sure they are safe before I spend $400 to put my head in something thats not gonna protect me.
Helmet?!? Damn, everything is carbon fiber these days. Can't help you with the helmet, but I tried a carbon fiber condom a few months back...she's recovering well so far.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:00 PM

Helmet?!? Damn, everything is carbon fiber these days. Can't help you with the helmet, but I tried a carbon fiber condom a few months back...she's recovering well so far
LMAO

Old 03-19-2008, 05:30 PM

i am no expert and may be wrong but i am guesing the shell and harder parts of the helmet are CF but the padding inside is the stuff that realy protects you right? so the padding is still the same probley just the stuff that supports is CF.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:39 PM

yea they have just as much padding I just dont want a helmet with a useless shell

here is a pic I like them becuase they are so light

[IMG]local://upfiles/24840/34E7D60C619B4CDEAE810A989ADBB46D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-19-2008, 05:40 PM

It doesn't matter how well somebody says it holds up compared to others...it's still DOT/Snell approved...which means it's no safer or less safer than the next DOT/Snell approved helmet.

BEWARE though...I've heard the CF helmets "chip" from rocks real easily. Once that happens, the clearcoat starts cracking/peeling off. Looks real bad. Also, some of us have had the embarrassing mishap of "dropping" our helmet on the ground. Nothing major enough to cause replacement, but you know what I mean. If the CF hits the ground it'll most likely chip as well. They look great and are very rare, but I'd stay away from it...

Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 PM

Carbonfiber padding is one of the strongest things and i believe the helmets have a thin layer of it covering the helmet if im not mistaken. My buddy owns one and luckily he never had to find out its strength but i believe and would trust the helmet. Just my opinion.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Here's an excerpt from www.bikeworld.com

This site is great. It helped influence my decision to buy a Shark...check out the whole site. Great reviews/write-ups.
From "K.W.": "I read your review and subsequently bought an HJC Carbon for the ride home from Miami to Atlanta on my Honda Rune.
A windy cold day I stopped at a rest area and had the helmet blown off one of those smooth concrete tables when a gust of wind blew thru. Must have caught the visor in it's up position just right. What shocked me was the damage to the clear coat. It blistered and completely separated in spots from the carbon (see photos below). I've had many helmets and dropped a few from time to time. I've even got two of Carbon Fibre Helmets Polo style carbon fibre helmets that have been abused and the clear coat is still intact.
I did email HJC on the issue but thought you might like to know. Any chance you've had any issues with the clear coat since writing the article?"

Editor's Reply: Interesting, thanks for sending these -- I can't say I'm surprised; the carbon fiber is very brittle and the clear coating probably doesn't stick very well to it. Some manufacturers will recommend replacing a helmet after any type of drop, even off the seat of a motorcycle, which is about the same height as a picnic table. I have dropped helmets (other than carbon fiber) before with varying levels of damage.
Don’t forget that helmets are designed specifically to absorb impact, and possibly the flexing of the CF under the clearcoat caused the blistering.... I would probably have to chalk this up to an unfortunate mistake and I'd trash the helmet and buy a new one. I'm not sure I'd wear any helmet that took a drop onto concrete from more than 1 foot high or so...