Bike Sleeping outside

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Sleeping outside

I've had my CBR 600RR for about 2 months now and unfortunately I do not have a garage in which to keep it. For now (until I buy my own property which will only be in a couple of years) my bike lives and sleeps in my lockup carport. I do have it under a cover as well and ride it every weekend. I still have some concern however that the bike is still outside. Any of you have the same problem as myself? Any tips on some extra maintenance techniques I should be applying here?

Old 11-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Default RE: Bike Sleeping outside

bring it inside your place like i do. shes parked next to my kitchen table untill all the work im doing on it is done. then its going in the bedroom till winter is over. if thats not an option, i guess a good weather proof cover, as well as a good lock and chain should give you a bit of peace of mind while its under the car port. make sure the chain is well cleaned and lubed due to some occasional rain storms.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:33 AM

Unfortunately I dont have space to bring it in but I do keep the chain lubed and am actually going this weekend to get a lock and chain. The carport is already locked up but I suppose some extra security will make me feel better. The cover I keep over it is also decent and I also have bricks at the bottom (just to keep it from blowing off in the wind).

Thanks for the post.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:40 AM

+1 ya make sure that its realy standing stable cuz when gets very windy in the winter the cover on the bike will act like a sial and it will end up flying .. i had my bike out side like u and one rainy night i was watching out the window and i found my bike tipped off but for my good luck my car was exactly next to it so it didnt fill down it only scratched my car (minor ones) but my baby was still ok nothing in it .. now i will have it sleeping with me in my bedroom regardless if my wife like it or not .. .. if not she better find someone else to live with ..... lol my baby has to stay warm in the winter .. lol good luck man

Old 11-14-2006, 06:17 PM

i duno dude i would say buy a shed at home depot there not expensive thats what i did when i had my r6 but with my new double R im paying my pops storage prices toleave it in my garage lol its better than shed....

Old 11-14-2006, 06:45 PM

no worries, my bud kept his 98' superhawk outside for 3 years. he just put a dowco all weather cover on it. the bike still looked new after 3 years and thats in louisiana where it rains damn near everyday

Old 11-14-2006, 08:21 PM

Perhaps some stands would help ease concerns about it tipping over ?

If you ride every weekend, its always lubed and covered it shouldn't be an issue.
My bike is under a cover, and the only issue I have is with bugs getting in there. The
mechanic that helps me, told me to park on top of a layer of plywood rather than cement as there
can be oil etc that isn't great for the tires. Not sure if theres any truth to that.

Good luck,
Chris

Old 11-16-2006, 01:06 PM

Ive kept my 05 600rr outside for almost 2 years now with no problems whatsoever, and being in FLorida its gotta rained on hard plenty of times. Its covered up most of the time. I never had any problems with my tires from havin it sit outside. I got 4200 miles out of my stock rear tire before I ran over a screw. You should be fine so long as you keep it covered up and parked on a level ground.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is your address? muhhahhha....

chain it up good mang...

i kept my bike outside for about a year...had a good nelson rig cover on it though...kept it well lube, but rotors still get rust on them really quick even though i rode it daily.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:51 AM

I stay in Johannesberg South Africa. We just going into rainy season now. Occasional thundershowers but not too often. Thanks for all your replies, I feel a bit better about it living outside now. It is always covered and keep the chain well lubed so sure it should be okay.