Any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any problems?

since you're a pro at it now... any tips? do you install the slidders then match the fairing up before you cut?

Old 09-15-2005, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

since you're a pro at it now... any tips? do you install the slidders then match the fairing up before you cut?
Here are a few nice installation recommendations from another site:

"You'll need some play doh

1. Take off the fairings
2. Take out the right side engine bolt, I believe this is the side with the pinch bolt, I'm too lazy to go look to confirm but don't forget to loosen it first or you'll be battling with it all day.
3. Install the longer bolt from the frame slider.
4. Now look at the fairing and you'll notice an impression in the foam made from the OEM engine bolt. Cut away enough foam for the slider to go through.
5. Place a hunk of play doh over the spot and remount the fairing pressing the bolt into the play doh. BE CAREFUL TO GET IT RIGHT HERE AS THIS PART IS CRUCIAL to centering up your hole.
6. Carefully pull the fairing off while doing your best to not mess up the impression.
7. Drill a small pilot hole through the centre of the play doh impression from insdie out.
8. Tape up the painted side of your fairing with masking tape to avoid chipping up the edges.
9. Use a hole bit/saw (usually 2") and drill the hole through your fairing.
10. Install slider, remove tape and reinstall the fairing.
11. Do the same for the other side.

Alternate method if you have at least a rear stand and a laser level.

1. Mount the bike on the stand, that way she's nice and stable and upright.
2. With the fairings off, line up the dead centre of the engine bolt with the laser level.
3. For OBVIOUS REASONS, make sure the laser level is far enough away from your work area to ensure it can't be knocked, moved etc.
4. Mount the fair back on and the laser level should mark the dead centre on the fairing itself.
5. Mark the hole and go from step 7 mentioned above. "

Old 09-15-2005, 06:25 PM

there was a recall on the 04's back brake, have your dealer check it out, i got mine done a few months ago.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:40 PM

cool, thats what i was looking for, recalls and stuff. Do you know specifficaly what the issue was?

Old 09-16-2005, 12:11 AM

not off the top of my head, all i remember is that there's a bolt on the brake caliper that should be either gold or silver, and its should be switched, takes them like 5 mins to fix, just take it to a honda shop and tell them you have an 04 and want the recall on the back brake fixed, they'll hook you right up no charge

Old 09-16-2005, 01:59 AM

ORIGINAL: dballer324

there was a recall on the 04's back brake, have your dealer check it out, i got mine done a few months ago.
Oh yea, I forgot about that! It's a linkage that if it gets very rusty (extreme weather riding), it could break and cause the rear brake to lock up...I have an '03 and still haven't got mine taken care of. I ride all year round (Michigan) and no problems...YET

Old 09-16-2005, 03:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

Here are a few nice installation recommendations from another site:

Alternate method if you have at least a rear stand and a laser level.

1. Mount the bike on the stand, that way she's nice and stable and upright.
2. With the fairings off, line up the dead centre of the engine bolt with the laser level.
3. For OBVIOUS REASONS, make sure the laser level is far enough away from your work area to ensure it can't be knocked, moved etc.
4. Mount the fair back on and the laser level should mark the dead centre on the fairing itself.
5. Mark the hole and go from step 7 mentioned above. "

i like this alternative way but i don't have a laser leveler.....anyways when u drill the hole for the slider...drill from outside to inside...or u will have a big heat ring on the outside....my buddy took a black permanent pen to color the inside of the hole so they won't see the scars from it being drilled out

Old 09-16-2005, 07:42 AM
Retired Administrator

laser level... I get to be all high tech and all I'm doing is drilling a hole! Hell yeah, laser method sounds good to me. I'll try method, after I figure out which slidders I want to order, and let you know how it works.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:53 PM

laser level... I get to be all high tech and all I'm doing is drilling a hole! Hell yeah, laser method sounds good to me. I'll try method, after I figure out which slidders I want to order, and let you know how it works.
Many of the RR riders like Yoyodyne Sliders (me included)...I've personally crash tested my Yoyo's and they did exactly what they're suppose to do!

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/