600rr damper

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fretless33
Your limited experience should also tell you that a motorcycle (any motorcycle) is the most unstable at slow speeds...That's where your throttle becomes your friend...not a damper...........next...

Me having a damper I guess impartial to this debate but, from what I have read ive learned that if you have years of experience and knowledge you dont need anything to aid you when you ride. My question would be to FRETLESS or anyone else that thinks experience and knowledge will save you all the time........do you ride without a helmet or gear?????
All a helmet and gear does is to PREVENT or should I say AID you from getting hurt as bad when you do mess up or get into an accedent. I have never heard anyone say" he/she must not have alot of experience on a bike becuase of all that gear" In New Hampshire there is a "no helmet law" meaning you do not have to wear a helmet to ride....you think I say I have to much experience and knowledge so I dont need helmet? I dont ride all that hard and for me having a damper that could help or prevent a "slapper" .... I think I will risk having one than not having one for those close calls....almost like a helmet or gear....you hope not to use your helmet and gear but you will thank your lucky stars if you crash and you have your helmet and gear on....
I think any add on to you or your bike to prevent something is always a good investment. My life is worth more to me and my family than my ego telling me I have enough experience and knowledge when riding my bike.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy cow, old thread alert.

I didn't realize there was such opposition to steering dampers. sure its not the first thing you need to go run out and get when you get the bike, but it won't hurt, so far I have not read a single argument explaining why they are bad, maybe unnecessary in a lot of situations, but they can help in a lot of situations as well.

I don't have one on my bike, I have survived a hand full of tank slappers, but that certainly does not mean i am too good for a damper. It is defiantly a mod that i would do if I had the budget for it.

reasons why I would want one.

1) tank slappers are not fun (at least i don't think so)

2) I don't know how much they actually help as i have never ridden hard with one installed, but from what I hear they work very well at what they are supposed to do.

3) while i am not a hard core racer, I do ride twisties very hard, and one of my favorite roads had a few turns with mid corner bumps where the road is warped from settling and can make for some very hairy situations when going fast.

4) I also do wheelies (try to at least) and if you set one down crooked that could cause a slapper.