600rr damper

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 600rr damper

Of course your suspension needs to be set up properly, air in the tires, gas in the tank and the insurance paid for before thinking of adding a steering damper. It is also recommended by all my fellow track mates not to argue with squids in the c class. All sorts of strange behavior & comments come out of the wannabes & neverwillbe's!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:00 AM

Yep +1 on getting ur suspension tuned to YOU. I got mine tuned by a guru halfway thru a ride one day andit made such alot of difference!- Enjoy

Old 02-05-2007, 01:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

ORIGINAL: ducbob

That situation will give a tank slap every time. Steering dampers will cure this.
Tank slapper? Are you sure!? I'd say you're more likely to get some head shake, but an all out "slapper?" You might want to check and see if you know the difference between head shake and a tank slapper...If you're getting slappers everytime, you need a lot more than a steering damper...I recommend the RRK (Rider Replacement Kit)
God I hate to say this...................... but Fret is right!F**K!!!!! Who said that? Anyway if you know how to ride you don't need a dampner. I've recommened dampners to newbies before but that's not the first thing you need for $400. It's like a band aid for learning to control a motorcycle. Does it help with shakessure it does, but if your willing to know what it feels like to get a shimmyAND a real nasty slap it will make you a better rider. If it's not interseting it's not fun. Clean the sound out of the mangina.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:01 AM

Im with Fret 100%

Old 02-05-2007, 10:22 AM

I have an olins damper on my bike. Easy to adjust for individual styles of riding.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:43 PM

suspension is definitely most important but I wouldn't say you shouldn't get a damper

Fret and abad are right that tankslappers are caused 99% of the time by doing something stupid but believe it or not, sportbike riders do stupid crap quite often.

it might bea band-aid but a band-aid is better than nothing at all.

and most racers would choose both suspension and a damper because WERA and probably a lot of other race orgs require a damper to get out on the track.

I ride at Barber and Road Atlanta, try riding either of those with bad suspension or without a damper...

BAD IDEA

Old 02-05-2007, 05:56 PM

Band-aid? I think there is a reason why dampers are now stock equipment on alot of bikes these days. Sure good riding technique can save them, however you have to experience them to save them. I dont know many people who actually want it to get to that point. If you wanna risk a crash in order to learn "proper technique", all the power to ya.. And it is "insurnace" so to speak when it stops something before it happens.. All a matter of opinion, but like I said, there is a reason most manufacturers are making them OEM now. Maybe they just want a world full of unskilled riders "band-aiding" up their riding skills?

Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: RedFireRR

Band-aid? I think there is a reason why dampers are now stock equipment on alot of bikes these days.
How many factory 600cc sport bikes are being released with OEM dampers? It makes sense on a 1000cc bike because of the short wheel base andextreme horse power/torque to weight ratio...but a 600...meh...it's just not necessary...just like a slipper clutch on the streets...it has squid appeal and that's about it.

Moreover, if you're out on the streets without any training,or basic skills, riding a sport bike as hard as it would take to justify the need for a damper, then you deserve the crash you're going to eventually make...there's nothing wrong with learning the "in's and outs" of your motorcycle, so you can be prepared for just about any situation that comes your way...having a damper just in case something bad happens is ok if that's what you're after, but if you're that scared of "what ifs" then why even ride? Nothing can top a well prepared, knowledgeable rider...not even a finely tunes suspension will help if the operator doesn't know **** about riding!

Just my opinion and get one if it helps you sleep at night...

Old 02-05-2007, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

ORIGINAL: RedFireRR

Band-aid? I think there is a reason why dampers are now stock equipment on alot of bikes these days.
How many factory 600cc sport bikes are being released with OEM dampers? It makes sense on a 1000cc bike because of the short wheel base andextreme horse power/torque to weight ratio...but a 600...meh...it's just not necessary...just like a slipper clutch on the streets...it has squid appeal and that's about it.

Moreover, if you're out on the streets without any training,or basic skills, riding a sport bike as hard as it would take to justify the need for a damper, then you deserve the crash you're going to eventually make...there's nothing wrong with learning the "in's and outs" of your motorcycle, so you can be prepared for just about any situation that comes your way...having a damper just in case something bad happens is ok if that's what you're after, but if you're that scared of "what ifs" then why even ride? Nothing can top a well prepared, knowledgeable rider...not even a finely tunes suspension will help if the operator doesn't know **** about riding!

Just my opinion and get one if it helps you sleep at night...
I understand the frustration of not being able to ride in the middle of winter in Michigan.
If one has ridden for any length of time it is understood how much improvement is always needed. That has been my experience, the more I learn the more I realize that I don't know. I have also learned that the small details are what bite you while riding, the stupid little things that I should know better than doing, but because of laziness or lack of concentration they are done. Most of the times it just makes my spinkster tighten up a bit. The reason for a damper is to help in those moments. I for one never to profess that I ride my bikes perfectly, I have made many mistakes and will continue to make mistakes. A damper is that little added insurance that may save my bacon one day. Make sense?

Old 02-05-2007, 11:56 PM

ORIGINAL: ducbob

I understand the frustration of not being able to ride in the middle of winter in Michigan.
If one has ridden for any length of time it is understood how much improvement is always needed. That has been my experience, the more I learn the more I realize that I don't know. I have also learned that the small details are what bite you while riding, the stupid little things that I should know better than doing, but because of laziness or lack of concentration they are done. Most of the times it just makes my spinkster tighten up a bit. The reason for a damper is to help in those moments. I for one never to profess that I ride my bikes perfectly, I have made many mistakes and will continue to make mistakes. A damper is that little added insurance that may save my bacon one day. Make sense?
I totally understand what you're saying, but the knowledge of knowing what to do is what has saved my *** on more than one occasion...not a damper, or a slipper clutch, or a rear set...and trust me...I'm far from perfect myself...how do you think I got into those situations To this day I haven't needed any gadgets...believe me...I've had some crazy stuff happen; however,I'm not as dedicated to the track as I'd like to be and if I was, I'd get a damper (and a bunch of other stuff), but I'm not going to get solid rubber tires because I might get a flat someday...

Just like any modification on a sport bike it all boils down to practicality and choice...

By the way...I'm still riding despite the cold...been doing it for many, many years [&:]

Quick Reply: 600rr damper