CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheelies

Hello everybody, i just bought a 99 cbr f4 600 and i was wondering if you can pop a wheelie with using just the throttle? or so i need to use the clutch. if you can please be specific on how to do it. like how many rpm's

Old 06-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Default RE: wheelies

in 2nd gear acclerate briskly and when you reach around 6,000 rpm, quickly shut off the throttle then crack it back on while pulling on the bars ( imagine a rowing technique) the idea is chop the throtle so the front forks compress and as they rebound you are nailing the throttle to help get the front end up...it might take some practice depending on your size and conditions of the area you are trying this....be careful and start at higher RPM's if you want to approach it slowly, the lower the RPM the more power you will have ( 5,000- 7,000 RPM is where this manuever will be happening)
[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 06-23-2005, 04:19 PM

to add a little more... yes you can pop it up using just the throttle, but it will be in first gear and you'll ride it out for like 2 seconds. to keep longer wheelies, follow sirlimz's advice.

brandon
good luck x2

Old 06-24-2005, 01:22 PM

Thanks for your input, i've been practicing but did not know how to do it. now that i know it should be alot easier. thanks again

Old 06-27-2005, 11:24 PM

if its stock i doubt u'll be able to pull it up in second WITHOUT clutchin it, highly, maybe goin like 60-70 stand up and bounce it to do a stand up, but thats prolly the only way ur gonna be able to hit it in second without usin the clutch

Old 06-28-2005, 11:45 AM

i Can not get the bike to come up in second, not enough torque. and in first gear i can get the bike up just a little. the best luck i have has is by using the clutch. I'll just keep practicing.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:12 PM

how do you guys wheelie in 2nd with the clutch??

I've been doing it without the clutch in 1st, and an experienced wheelie rider said to stay away from first gear wheelies until you get real good at it.

so my question is....what RPM/ speed and when to clutch and so forth to wheelie in 2nd

THANKS

Old 06-28-2005, 01:39 PM

I worked at a Honda dealer in the mid 90's and my coworker did not believe that a F2 would come up in second gear without the clutch, so I went out on the street and proved it.. It was a bit of work but it would come up..so I am sure that the newer more powerful bikes will do it as well..but the clutch method is WAY easier...
Be traveling at about 45-50 mph ( which should be about 6-7,000 rpm I believe) and doing the same procedure as before by chopping the throttle, but pulling in the clutch and reving the bike up to 10,000 or so rpm and as the fork rebounds, pull up and release the clutch..again it will take practice and finesse..There is no black and white to this..it is all about technique and control. And clutch wheelies really put alot of loads on the tranny, clutch and driveline..so make sure your chain is adjusted properly.
Make sure to cover the rear brake so you can bring the front back down if it comes up to quickly

Old 06-29-2005, 05:47 PM

I just got a '99 CBR F4 and I am wanting to wheelie. I dont really ride with any other people because none of my friends are into bikes, so I dont know all ther terminology. I tried to do the power wheelie as described above, but it only got the wheel up like 6-10 inches. Other than that I have done where I rev. the engine and drop the clutch. That gets it up higher but still not what I am looking for. How bad is that to drop the clutch like that? And will that eat through a clutch pretty past if I continue to do that? How much abuse can a sportbike take? Also, sometimes when i drop the clutch it spins the back tire a little before lifting up. I assume that I am doing this all wrong. Any advice?

Old 07-02-2005, 03:55 PM

ANYONE know about how hard this is on the clutch?

Quick Reply: wheelies