CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Trouble starting my f4. Problem sourced to ignition...maybe

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting my f4. Problem sourced to ignition...maybe

(copied from general tech)

Background:

Bought a 2000 f4 in 2009 with 18xxx miles on it. Now has 24xxx miles on it. Two months ago i was cruising around town and started noticing issues with throttle and loss of power. The problem would go away and come back randomly. So i decided to make my way back home. Too late for me though, as the bike died (rpms went to zero, couldnt restart it). I got my buddy to drive me home in his truck.

Problem:

Brought it home. Sprayed some starter fluid in it to see if i could get a kick start out of it, it started up and died again, with the throttle not being able to hold rpms and eventually they would drop to zero. Now it is at the point where it wont even start. So i checked the fuel system. Changed the filter (blacker than night). Check the fuel pump (seemed to be putting out the right amount of fuel) Checked my valves. Changed the hoses (10year old bike, deserves some refreshment everyonce in a while).

Tried starting it again. Nothing. So i checked my vacuum lines. All the lines seemed good with no visible cracks. Cleaned my air filter and the tiny trapazoidal filters in the air box. tried starting again. Nothing

Next i checked the plugs (I replaced them this summer). Spark test showed good spark coming from all four plugs. Gap was withen tolerance. Now im just confused.

Pulled my carbs. Found that the number 1 carb was newer than carbs 2-4. Also noticed the tps sensor seemed to be a replacement oem part. Carbs seemed cleaned from an outside visible standpoint (i dont have the gaskets yet to rebuild it although it will be a winter project of mine). With this i also noticed that my cylinderhead has been replaced. I had no knowledge fo this before hand (possible issue with valve tap so other parts were replaced??)

W T F

can any of you shed some insight on this?

thanks in advance.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

are you sure that your fuel pump is working? you should feel it pulsing every few seconds (if it runs) and from a cold start you should feel it prime up.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:32 PM

i have checked the fuel pump. i found out how to do a fuel flow test to see if anything is going wrong that ways.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Default same problems .....

also having same problems , but to make situation worse , gas is gushing out a hose that leads to the ground , and battery keeps on dying . i put in sea foam , but it was a no go . check spark plugs . a bit wet and dark . bought new ones and will replace today . i do need an oil change , i am aware .

Old 06-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turk in gm
(copied from general tech)

Background:

Bought a 2000 f4 in 2009 with 18xxx miles on it. Now has 24xxx miles on it. Two months ago i was cruising around town and started noticing issues with throttle and loss of power. The problem would go away and come back randomly. So i decided to make my way back home. Too late for me though, as the bike died (rpms went to zero, couldnt restart it). I got my buddy to drive me home in his truck.

Problem:

Brought it home. Sprayed some starter fluid in it to see if i could get a kick start out of it, it started up and died again, with the throttle not being able to hold rpms and eventually they would drop to zero. Now it is at the point where it wont even start. So i checked the fuel system. Changed the filter (blacker than night). Check the fuel pump (seemed to be putting out the right amount of fuel) Checked my valves. Changed the hoses (10year old bike, deserves some refreshment everyonce in a while).

Tried starting it again. Nothing. So i checked my vacuum lines. All the lines seemed good with no visible cracks. Cleaned my air filter and the tiny trapazoidal filters in the air box. tried starting again. Nothing

Next i checked the plugs (I replaced them this summer). Spark test showed good spark coming from all four plugs. Gap was withen tolerance. Now im just confused.

Pulled my carbs. Found that the number 1 carb was newer than carbs 2-4. Also noticed the tps sensor seemed to be a replacement oem part. Carbs seemed cleaned from an outside visible standpoint (i dont have the gaskets yet to rebuild it although it will be a winter project of mine). With this i also noticed that my cylinderhead has been replaced. I had no knowledge fo this before hand (possible issue with valve tap so other parts were replaced??)

W T F

can any of you shed some insight on this?

thanks in advance.
Sorry to bring up an old post, but did you ever solve the problem? My 1999 CBR F4 did the same thing yesterday. I had a loss of power/acceleration so I gave it more throttle, and then it seemed to decelerate more, which lead to it dying on the freeway. I couldn't get the bike to start back up. Also, My battery was fully charged after it died. I took the bike directly to the mechanic that put a jet kit in it a month ago.