CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

track day ! first of many

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track day ! first of many

so my 99 f4 ran a 12.3 at 118 quarter. seems pretty bad to me. personally i dont think its her fault its most likely mine. no track experiance. deff will say i was a little nervous. but im sure if i actually launched i could shave a second or so off my time. ne of you guys run your f4s?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Default RE: track day ! first of many

You'd be surprised how much time you can shave off with a good launch. I've never raced a bike at the strip but have raced a couple of cars and I remember how nervous I got when the entire place is watching you. I took my WRX there about a month after I got it and I was just learning to drive a manual transmission and I messed up so bad that the first run was about 1.5 seconds slower than the next.

And I would think bikes would be the hardest vehicle imaginable to launch perfectly.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:58 AM

jesse
i never ran drags on a real track, just messed around in an industrial area...you are correct, you will get at least 1 second better with a better launch. keep messing with it. a tip i got, wasto keep my revs around 4100, and crank it as soon as you get the signal. worked for me, but again...it wasn't timed, and no where close to being legal...probably felt like i was going faster than i really was!

personally i like the road course tracks. i've done pocono twice, and i'm trying to go to VIR and BeaverRun this year...maybe even LimeRock.

for those of you who never put your bike on a track...do you and your bike a favor, buy a set of leathers, and get on the track. there is nothing that compares to putting around on the track...especially when you realize you are just there for fun!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:47 PM

I have not had my bike to the strip yet, but want to this summer. My bike is getting a new clutch installed this week so once it's broke in I will find a time to go to the strip. I use to drag race cars all the time, but have been out of it for a while so I'm sure the bike is going to be a whole new game.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:09 PM

If you go to the track with your bike you'll have to be willing to light your bike on fire and walk away.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:29 PM

I tell yea, I've raced cars on the street and other bikes going straight but there is nothing like track time on a road course... Or better yet, I plan a trip every year to Deals Gap in Tenn/NC. This road is nice, great scenery, and 318 hard curves in just 11 miles,,,, cant beat it! I plan my trip in June, and I make about 5 passes and my tires are half gone.... Its a great knee scraping experience.... Anyone can go straight, but to hit those kinda turns going that quick is like being on a coaster!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 PM

what was your 60 foot time

Old 05-06-2008, 10:29 PM

thats what your supposed to be able to do:

11.00 seconds @ 124.65mph

Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 PM

ya launching on the track with its sticky surface is really diff than a parking lot. i tried to launch at somewere around 5 and popped the clutch and it almost stalled lol. and I JUST WENT TO DEALS GAP APRIL 13TH! IT WAS AMAZING. it is true a real rider is one that can handle the curves. but i just wanted to see what it could do. and ya cbrrr i looked that up to lol. :-( but im not sweating it. with time a practice itll be easy. up for a ride when u goin up to deals gap. i think me a few friends are gonna head up memorial weekend. and 60 ft idk i threw away the time slips

Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 AM

Yea, a few of us go for the Honda Hoot, I think its around June 20th? That weekend is kinda busy, but alot of fun! We did go for just the hoot but its over rated and they want you to buy a bunch. Now we just go to ride. They have dyno testing, alot of sweet bikes, and other stuff going on at that little gas station at deals gap during that weekend.