CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Suddently extreme vibration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suddently extreme vibration at highway speeds

Hi all,

I have a 600F4 2000. I have ridden 10.000 KM on it this year. I havnt had an issue with this before so its not the "vibrations are normal, suck it up :-)".
The other morning riding to work there was no issues at all. When i went home, i had a good 30 km on normal roads. Good speed, hard breaks, fast turns. Then i went on the highway for the last couple of miles.
When hitting 130-140km/t i instantly felt the vibration. Alot. Its in the handlebars and it is in the foodpegs, fairings and so on. Especially if i put my thumb on turnsignal box i feel it REALLY much.
It start to be anoying around 7.000RPM. At 8.000 it is bad and then just contiunes further up.
It doesnt matter which gear it is in.
When i pull the clutch it stops instantly, so it is engine related.

I just got new tires 1500km ago and they're balanced, so shouldnt be that.

What could it be?
Could it be a lose engine bolt? Guess i'll have to go all engine bolts through?
I can see in the manual that carburetors out of sync could add vibrations. I have justed bought a synchronizer and will sync them next week.
One of my handlebar ends was loose on one side 2 weeks ago. I have tighthen it and added thread lock, so should be that as well. Think i'll try to loosen them up and tighten them to specified tourque.

What else do you think it could be?

This is really anoying and ruining my daily commute. Please help meeee :-)

Old 07-18-2018, 06:49 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Can you feel it when it's in neutral on the stand at rpms?

Could be a misfire in the engine. That could happen all of a sudden and might come and go with throttle. How is it running?

Old 07-18-2018, 07:12 AM

I havnt tried that. I'll do that when im off work later today.
I think it runs really good. I changed chainkit 1500km ago as well. Havnt had any issues with it and it runs fine throughout RPMs.
Misfire? What can i do about that and what is actually happening?

Only thing about chainkit change i just thought about now. I geared it down (-1, +2). That has resulted in some (read: alot :-p) power wheelies in 1st gear. It might have had some rough landings. So might be something that has went loose or knocked off/broken?

Old 07-22-2018, 03:02 PM

Okay, so i managed to get most of the vibrations away. Think its normal now but im noticing it alot more now than before. Well its ok.

I did a couple of things. But what i think it might have been was the handlebar ends.

Month ago one of them was really loose and i tightenten both. Think it had been tightenen to much. Throttle was allmost stuck (not entirely but a bit).
I did losen it now so it goes entirely freely. I feels like the screw is almost loose but i have tightened it with threadlock so should be ok.

I think it might have been that.
But i also had all side fairings and tank off. I did loosen the 2 engine mounting bolts on each side and tightened them again to specified touque. They didnt seem lose before.

So i dont know which it is but it fixed it. Hmm. Just thought i would let you know if any one else experience this.