CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

99 f4 stalls and stumbles when bike is hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 f4 stalls and stumbles when bike is hot

have noticed that bike runs perfect until I have been riding for around 45-1hr, then if I am sitting in traffic it will sometimes stall out and will stumble when taking off, I have read stuff that it is common but no one had a fix I have put new plug and air filter in bike. Should I try seafoam? or is there a better solution out there? Also I need a speedo healer anyone out there know where to get them cheaper that 110 like the ones on ebay? thaks for your help.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Default RE: 99 f4 stalls and stumbles when bike is hot

I had the same problem. It's a carb issue. I just throw a bottle of carb cleaner in the tank each time i change the oil and it helps big time. I've heard good things about seafoam also.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 PM

my bike use to do that and after my fuel pump went out it hasnt done it since. I changed the pump and filter, possible it could be that...

Old 07-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FK ME. Another lost post.

Carb problems are usually not temperature related. The exception is choke on cold start and the circuit being dirty. You didn"t mention that problem, so I doubt it is carbs.

Valves do change spec when warm, although if it"s only at the top end tempatures and not when normally warm, it"s less probable.

Now, what I have had on my bike, which might not be your problem:

Stuck in traffic. Bike gets hot. Fan comes on. Battery discharges slowly. Not enough power to spark properly below 3k. Hold revs above 3k and she"s fine. Stay below 3k and in the heat, eventually it will stall. It will completely flatten the battery if you keep it up too. I hold the revs up to keep it charging. Otherwise, you can stop the engine, duck walk the small distances, and fire it up for the longer distances. I was bump starting it very easily in traffic one very bad day.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:35 PM

This is a common problem with these bikes and I dont know what the dealis, I had my bike in the shop last week and he thought for sure it was running to lean. He rejected the carbs and he thought it was fixed but IT WAS NOT!!!!!!!!!! I have seen alot of people have this problem but no one has posted a correct fix,

Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 PM

Another thing I did have a bad fuel pump, It was not running at all. Replaced it same problem, Only happens above 80 degrees and when fan comes on..
There's got to be some Honda techs around that know of a common problem with these F4's

Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: woot

Stuck in traffic. Bike gets hot. Fan comes on. Battery discharges slowly. Not enough power to spark properly below 3k. Hold revs above 3k and she"s fine. Stay below 3k and in the heat, eventually it will stall. It will completely flatten the battery if you keep it up too. I hold the revs up to keep it charging. Otherwise, you can stop the engine, duck walk the small distances, and fire it up for the longer distances. I was bump starting it very easily in traffic one very bad day.
thats right on, but since I got my new fuel pump I havent once had a problem...but I also did replace my battery this winter also...

Old 07-25-2008, 04:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that the battery is the nail in the coffin... the bike just isn't made for sitting in traffic. Add in a weak battery, or an inefficient electrical component and you've definately got problems.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM

thanks for all your help I will let you know what happends I think for starters I am going to replace the battery, then who knows, maybe look at the fuel pump. thank you for all you excellent feedback.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:20 PM

Update on this problem, Been fighting it a while, I am a Chevrolet Tech but dont know much about bikes. After getting my bike out of the shop it did the exact same thing, He said the fix was to raise the idle to 1800RPMS to keep the charging system up more. I said nicecover up but I dont like it. I checked and found that when the idle is where it should be (about 1300Rpms) the voltage is ok at about 13.2volts or so, but when the fan comes on it drops down to 12.5 volts and it is not enough voltage for the ignition coils to fire and that is what is going on when the bike stalls when trying to take off with the fan on. I can also take the head light fuse out and let the fan run and the voltage is ok for the coils. I'm thinking either the regulator or stator is bad.....

Anyone had any regulator problems with these bikes.

Brian

Quick Reply: 99 f4 stalls and stumbles when bike is hot