CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Starting CBR 600 F4 SUPERB Track build

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job man.

How long do you expect the bike to run on a fresh battery with the total loss?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoyed the updates. Hope all is going well.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:19 PM

Forgot the camera in the garage.
Things again turned out to be more tricky than expected.

When I tested the clutch, it wouldn't slip. Checked over and over again. Simply could not find the fault.

Turned out that the gearbox from the F4i is a bit different than the F4. The output shaft isn't exactly the same where the clutch attaches and the clutch is completely different. Luckily I had a clutch pin from an F4i that had come with some spares I bought. I installed that in the F4 clutch and the clutch slips again. Started the bike up and it when thru all the gears with no problems at all. My only worry is that the clutch basket can slide back and forth on the output shaft. It's only 2mm or so, but I don't believe it should do that.... Anybody knows?

So the whole day went with that unfortunately, but at least I got the bike started! Engine is running and wheel is turning!

Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by brveagle
Nice job man.

How long do you expect the bike to run on a fresh battery with the total loss?
Thanks, but definetely turned out to be more work than I expected!

I have calculated that the bike should run 2-3 hours on a 10amp/hr battery. The only thing that will draw power is the fuel pump which I heard should draw about 3,5amp's.

The math is then 10amp hr / 3,5amp = 2,85 hours

Old 03-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Denfrosnesko
Thanks, but definetely turned out to be more work than I expected!

I have calculated that the bike should run 2-3 hours on a 10amp/hr battery. The only thing that will draw power is the fuel pump which I heard should draw about 3,5amp's.

The math is then 10amp hr / 3,5amp = 2,85 hours
what about the coils?

edit: very much enjoying this write up. I have a "track/race" F4 which is quite a bit of fun to ride. You are giving me some good ideas to take it to the next level.

Last edited by brveagle; 03-19-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:02 PM

I have had them in mind also, but I do not have a measurement yet. Will try and do one in the coming week. From what I been told and have read, power should no go under 8,5volt because then there is not enough voltage to make the sparkplugs fire properly.

The F4 is a brilliant bike for track. What it lacks in power it has in stability. It can sure corner. I have left quite a few modern sports bikes behind on it and I now hope it has become even better with all the work I have put into it. I used to have a Gsx-r 1000 K7 which I also raced, but had to admit I started racing 1000's too early. I did not progress. I was thinking about a 600 for a long time, but loved the Suzuki so much. "Luckily" circumstances forced me to sell my K7 and the only race series I could afford was the preinjection cup. I bought the F4 and my level has gone up a lot. I'm also alot faster on a 1000cc now because of this bike. I love it!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:06 PM

so if you're running total loss will you have a voltmeter hooked up to tell you when to recharge or something to notify you or are you just doing the math to figure out how long it will last?

I would imagine if the voltage dropped too far and the sparkplugs start having issues it could be detrimental to the engine.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 AM

Well, if you only run 20 - 30 min session's then it's all worry free, as long as you remember to hook it up to the trickle charger in the pit's.

My gold is to be able to run an endurance race on 3hours, but like you say if the voltage drops to far the engine will lose power. Nothing bad will happen other than in the end the bike will drown and stall. So finding lightweight batteries that are up for this task and affordable is not easy.

I bought this which I will mount permanently on the
bike.Dynatek Performance Electronics - Dyna Monitors

I have also bought a voltmeter, which I will run with in the beginning, so I get an idea if math and reality is the same.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Avi

have you considered building a battery pack from A123 cells ?

comes out lighter, and by the number of cells in parallel you can adjust the capacity to suit your 3 hour endurance.

DIY: A123 Lightweight Battery Pack - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Old 03-22-2011, 03:18 AM

Nice link! Didn't think about making my own batteries.

I figured if I had to run a 3hours race on battery only, I would probably need 14amp/hr battery not to loose any power. I'll try and work out a configuration for that.

Quick Reply: Starting CBR 600 F4 SUPERB Track build