CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Starting CBR 600 F4 SUPERB Track build

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a good point making your own battery set up would allow you to tailor it to your needs. Also if you could do something like use lithium cells you would also get a longer charge for less weight.

The tesla roadster (90k dollar electric car) uses something like 6,000 plus cells (they're about the size of a "C" or "D" cell) to get a run distance of 200 miles. The only problem is they are pricey and I don't know how many you'd need so not sure its the best thing for you.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Avi

Originally Posted by Denfrosnesko
Nice link! Didn't think about making my own batteries.

I figured if I had to run a 3hours race on battery only, I would probably need 14amp/hr battery not to loose any power. I'll try and work out a configuration for that.
glad to help

another thing that just crossed my mind is that in a 3 hours endurance race you have to stop for fuel (and maybe tires?). place the battery in an accessible location like under the one-seat and just replace the battery while filling up the gas. you can save a LB or 2 this way.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Loxsl_Helm
Thats a good point making your own battery set up would allow you to tailor it to your needs. Also if you could do something like use lithium cells you would also get a longer charge for less weight.

The only problem is they are pricey and I don't know how many you'd need so not sure its the best thing for you.
Yeah, pricey is bad. The money I have left will be spent on racing this season. So homemade batteries might have to wait until next year.

Originally Posted by Avi
glad to help

another thing that just crossed my mind is that in a 3 hours endurance race you have to stop for fuel (and maybe tires?). place the battery in an accessible location like under the one-seat and just replace the battery while filling up the gas. you can save a LB or 2 this way.
That I have thought of.

Here's a good link for quick connectors
Electrical Accessories | Electrical | Motorcycle Shop | Demon Tweeks

Could be awesome 'eh? Espically because so many people told me it could not be done!

Old 03-24-2011, 03:17 PM

Wuhu! What a great day. Took the bike for a short test drive and she feels great!

Only worry is the Active quick action throttle. Before I had a size 40 which I thought was a little to slow. I wanted a 42, but my friend had a 44... It's fast.. like in VERY fast!

I had to use the radiator I threw out. Ran out of funds so I repaired it. Still got a lot of bend fins, but it will do for the moment.
Name:  IMG_0779.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  203.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0780.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  158.2 KB

Balancing the carbs
Name:  DSC07058.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  98.7 KB

Some pictures of the goodies

Titanium full system
Name:  IMG_0776.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  159.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0778.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  103.4 KB

Quick release fuel connector
Name:  DSC07055.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  97.3 KB

HRC clocks and battery level indicator
Name:  DSC07060.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  178.8 KB

1000RR front end
Name:  DSC07062.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  DSC07064.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  157.9 KB
Name:  DSC07063.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  186.1 KB

Still need to install the factory pro jet kit and tune the carbs with the colortuner, but right now she's ready for the track!

A little video

Last edited by Denfrosnesko; 03-24-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:23 PM

Loving this build. Good work
Where did you get that quick release fuel connector?

Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by exodus191
Loving this build. Good work
Where did you get that quick release fuel connector?
Thanks!

I got them from Harris-Performance
https://www.harris-performance.com/w...og_CPC_66.html

Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 AM
Avi

beautiful outcome!
well, a little ugly, but that is some bike

which rear shock is that ?
it doesn't look like the stock one.

I think I will get that quick disconnect as well. we need the 5/16 dia and it connects to the rubber hose, right?

last question, do you actually adjust the spring load on the move ?

Old 03-25-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Avi
beautiful outcome!
well, a little ugly, but that is some bike

which rear shock is that ?
it doesn't look like the stock one.

I think I will get that quick disconnect as well. we need the 5/16 dia and it connects to the rubber hose, right?

last question, do you actually adjust the spring load on the move ?
LOL! Yeah, that fairing isn't too pretty. I have a F4i fairing I want to fit, but need to convert the air ducts so they fit in the airbox and I have no time for that if I want to race this month. So I found this F4 one for scrabs.. It will do for the moment!!

The rear shock is a Maxton
Maxton Suspension home page
I will recommend them anyday. The shock is great and their service is fantastic.

Can't remember the size.
I cut the rubber hose in half and attached it. My hose is a little too long I think, so will probably cut it a bit more.

Those spring load adjuster's was a mistake. I don't know what I thought of when I bought them, but it's very hard to compress the springs with finger force only. They are more bling bling than anything else.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Bike has been on track and she feels great even though I was missing one ram air tube and the radiator wasn't working optimal. So she was a bit low on power, but I still managed to put in a 2.08 on the first day. That is to be compared I ran just under 2 min on my GSX-R 1000 K7 2 years and less experience ago. Fantastic!

Unfortunately I had a bit of "bad luck" that day! See how this video has a happy end!
Video of one of the first laps

Next session the gopro mount broke and the camera get hit by the rear wheel! Auch...
Luckily I managed to find all the parts spread over a wide area of the track and the camera still works! Just need a new house and attachments.

My thoughts after testing:
1000RR front end definitely worth it. Much quicker steer in and fantastic brakes. Even with OEM pads there was plenty of stopping power. I have now changed to performance friction pads, 07 compound. All the stopping power you will ever need!
Even though she steers in faster, I reckon it can be even faster, so I will jack her up another 5mm in the back. In general the weight loss, like the fancy rear wheel has helped to make her steer faster, but a standard f4i rear wheel would have saved me a good deal of cash, and I wouldn't have felt the difference.

Factory pro shift kit: I can only say the gearbox felt great. If it's up to the shift kit or the fact that I installed a '05 gear box I have no clue. Bottom line is the gearbox is now spot on.

Factory pro timing advancer: Didn't feel any difference, but again. Engine wasn't running optimal. When all is installed I will get her on a bench.

Total loss: So I ran the bike purely on a light weight racing battery. No problems at all. Didn't feel any difference in power though, but the complete alternator is still in. Will remove for next time and install HRC flywheel.

Quick action throttle, tube size 44. Fast, like in very fast. Bike doesn't have enough power so it becomes a problem. Can only recommend.

One the engine side I still have work to do.
Factory pro jet kit isn't installed yet and HRC flywheel also needs to be mounted. Hopefully the engine will be much better when I finalize that.

Last edited by Denfrosnesko; 04-17-2011 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Can't spell! ;)
Old 04-20-2011, 12:29 AM

I have a question. You changed out the swing arm what was the purpose for it? I already ordered a complete 1000rr front end. Was seeing why switch from the f4 swing arm to the 06 f4i swing arm.

Quick Reply: Starting CBR 600 F4 SUPERB Track build