CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Repainting Bike Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainting Bike Cost?

For those that know or have had their bikes repainted, how much did you pay for it?
not custom designs and all that works, but just plain colours i e all black or all white.

Thanks

One guy is charging me $600 to paint my bike all black, repairing my rash on my cowls.

Am i getting ripped off is it a good deal?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Default RE: Repainting Bike Cost?

Sounds like a basic deal to me. Isn't awsome but isn't bad. One dude wanted to charge me $800 to paint my bike only red.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:45 PM

could do what I did - went to harbor freight, bought a 15 dollar Gun, hooked it up to a Compressor and painted it myself.

You can get the paint from a variety of sources but Sherwin Williams almost always has an automotive store close by.

Kind of neat, and each time you paint you'll get better - Plus you can repaint your bike every weekend if you get tired of it for just the cost of paint - like 20 bucks or so....

You

Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 PM

I paid $400 for mine to be painted. Included dent removal on the tank, all fairings, undertail, tail hugger, and filling some scratches on the side fairings. Blue and Silver, nothing crazy. 600 doesn't seem so bad. Just make sure he uses a gas resistant clear on the tank so gas doesn't eat through it for the occasional fill-up splashes. You in the Akron, Ohio area? I can get you in contact with my guy.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 AM

i just painted my cbr 600 f4 and it cost me around $100. i bought 4 cans of automotive gloss black paint, 2 cans of clear coat, paint stripper, 1000, 2000, and 250 grit wet/dry sand paper, protective gloves, a trigger for the cans, steel wool, 4 cans of primer, blue painters tape. if you need instructions let me know.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 AM

If you plan to do it, do it right with an actual automotive paint (acrylic enamel or such), and make sure the plastic and tank are smooth and prepared to go. Sand and fill, sand some more, smooth, sand, prime, smooth, paint, paint, smooth, paint, clear. Simple enough? If you can get your hands on an air compressor which is a very dry system (inline dryers, fillter acumulators, etc...) go and buy a cheap gravity feed gun (check like delgard tool company or eBay), go to your local paint shop or NAPA and you can either look at the paint chip books to find a nice color, or bring something in and have it matched. After that, you can choose an overall paint (clear built into the paint) so all you need is to smooth and spray, no extra clear coat. Or you can go with a professional line (paint separate from clear, higher gloss and nice color, however expensive). I would recomend the first for an overall paint, will look good and will save money. If fairings are cracked, get your hands on a plastic welder to patch things up.

Supply wise, you can paint a bike for about 120-140 with the economy paint, and about 200-230 with high end paint, if you do it yourself. If you get the paint mixed, make SURE you tell the person that it will be applied to plastic, so they will add a flex additive so that the paint has more ability to flex with any type of plastic flex. Here is the problem with "spray paint" is that most lack the flex additive. The paint will look ok for awhile, but with time, it usually doesnt look all that great.

Any other questions feel free to ask. I have mixed paint and paintedfor acouple of years, and can give some advice. I would recommend doing it yourself, get a cheap gun or borrow, practice on the inside of the fairing, adjust compressor and gun, find the right speed and pressure to give you a nice even flow, and paint away. After a couple of times, it becomes second nature, and hell it actually is quite a lot of fun.

Good luck,
Peace